Trying so hard to like the Gen 3 but.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if you like the 2020, hard for me to buy saying you don't like the 21. It's virtually the same truck with some upgrades, like a gen 2.5. And while I really like the Gen 2, it's hardly some gorgeous truck.

Trooper

Reaction score
I had some similar sentiments. Being that i plan on having my '18 for a long time, im please that the new one doesnt really date the gen 2. When gen 2 came out, the gen 1 immediately looked Much older. To me the gen 3 looks more like a throwback to gen1 than an update to gen 2....which im glad so i dont feel overly jealous haha

I can see a bit of a gen1 resemblance but the headlights remind me too much of the new GMC Sierra. I do think that the gen3 looks way better in black than the red.

I will say that IMO, Ford has gone backwards in the styling department. It might just be me, but the '15-'17 (including the gen2) look way better, and newer than the latest update.

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if you like the 2020, hard for me to buy saying you don't like the 21. It's virtually the same truck with some upgrades, like a gen 2.5. And while I really like the Gen 2, it's hardly some gorgeous truck.

I get that everyone keeps saying this, but it’s not just a half generational update. The rear end, 37’s, increased travel have this thing being a bigger jump from gen 2 than g2 was from g1. That said, at least in photos, it is not as good looking

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new exterior but agreed to all detailed gen 2 features op noted. I dislike the rhapsody blue interior will be my biggest factor to not upgrade from gen2, i love my orange accent with carbon fibre. While all new 5 link setup, fox 3.1, 37 wheels is a lot of plus to skip. I will hold on to my gen2 till I see some strong interiors colors as well as some exterior colors that fits my likeness. V6 will be my choice any day, I had v8 trucks and I dont miss spending $600 on gas in a doomsday economy with no end of covid in the near future!

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 lead foot screw no roof, just did the first oil changed & added JLT catch can & some weather tech mudflaps in front-had it bout 3 months 3600 miles on it- I’m keeping this thing for at least 3 more years I’ll wait see how the TRX holds up, how the gen 3 raptor & raptor R look & let the kinks work out - I’ll NEVER buy a first or even 2nd model year of a new design. Nope. Not gonna be the mass market guinea pig for things like plastic oil pans lol

I nearly bought an F250 tremor diesel since the new raptor availability in the options I wanted was slim - that’s still on the table down the line too I guess

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension upgrade alone makes the Gen 3 very attractive. More travel all the way around and coil sprung rear Gen3>Gen2. The exterior lines will grow on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this new rear end is extremely overlooked. The biggest news would have been a V8 in the initial release. Now that the subject of a V8 is done, the new rear suspension will be the biggest talking point of reviewers outside of the interior refresh.

I believe Ford went a smart route here choosing to target usability and capability versus getting into a HP war. The looks are very subjective, but I wholly believe the new rear suspension will be a major talking point about this truck once the reviews start hitting the deck.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think most people already with a Raptor are on the fence is with the motor in the Gen 3. Even if the R comes out, it’s not for everyone (Price, allocation, range). So the, so called base Raptor will be the most popular. If you don’t own a Raptor the Gen 3 is an awesome way to go all around. But previous owners were looking for more in the non V8 vehicle I think. Like a hybrid or a significant improvement in power for the 3.5 and still good overall range.

This is why with many the tech can wait inside and out of the truck for now and you can keep a Gen 2 longer.

Last edited: