Trying so hard to like the Gen 3 but.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BayRaptor925

BayRaptor925

Reaction score
I think once we start seeing more videos and in more colors, you guys will start to change your tunes. I personally think it looks great. Old school boxy and masculine in design.

I agree. Even now the more I look at it, the more it's growing on me. I do like that old school boxy look....

Again the purpose of this post was to throw some comparisons on the design differences, by no means am I hating on the Gen 3. I think in all respects it's going to be an amazing truck despite what some may think now.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are always resistant to new vehicle designs at first but usually come around when they start seeing them.

Raptorius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I prefer the more minimalistic approach. Aesthetically, when there's too many little details, it starts to look too frilly and feminine to me. That's not a bad thing; it's just not what I want in my truck.

I view the Gen3 as a more straight up, minimalistic, masculine design, and I like that direction. Feels like a modern truck design that's pulling from old school roots. Functionally, that goes right along with the improvements that come with Gen3. From the interior and tech/infotainment inside to the rear suspension and 37s outside.

This is a badass truck. I'm getting one!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 lead foot screw no roof, just did the first oil changed & added JLT catch can & some weather tech mudflaps in front-had it bout 3 months 3600 miles on it- I’m keeping this thing for at least 3 more years I’ll wait see how the TRX holds up, how the gen 3 raptor & raptor R look & let the kinks work out - I’ll NEVER buy a first or even 2nd model year of a new design. Nope. Not gonna be the mass market guinea pig for things like plastic oil pans lol

I nearly bought an F250 tremor diesel since the new raptor availability in the options I wanted was slim - that’s still on the table down the line too I guess

Rome

Reaction score
Bro you’re right... I like the new Raptor, but I love my gen 2. It’s a very menacing looking truck.

I'm breaking each component of design down and I keep coming up Gen 2...I love some of the technology advancements and the 37's but correct me if I'm wrong...this is how I see it. There is no question the truck has plenty of new improvements from a functional stand point so I won't go into those.

Grille - Gen 2 - this new Grille just looks like it has less detail and thought. I get the minimalist design to be more 'modern' but it really looks like it's missing something. I could argue if I put both trucks in front of someone who didn't know which Gen was which, they'd pick the Gen 2 from just looking at the front as the newer model.

Lights - Gen 2 - new lights look so basic and plain, I'm not sure I can get over that. Gen 2 lights look more detailed, more thoughtful design and more menacing. Even the fender molding so nicely around the lights gives it a more pronounced look.

Hood Scoop - Gen 2 - again, they went so basic on the hood scoop. Less detail and even more like plastic now. I feel like they tried to compensate with this smaller looking scoop with the "raptor" stamp on it. As if the bean counters told them we need to save some costs here.

Fender Vents - Gen 2 - anyone else with me on the fact that the new fender vent is just too high up on the fender and looks out of proportion? Maybe it's because I'm used to staring at my Gen 2 vent being properly positioned/proportioned. I get the whole F-22 fighter jet thing, but I think that was a way to distance themselves from a "raptor" being an animal to minimize some of the cheesy easter eggs Dodge planted.

Tail-lights - Gen 2 - again, if you look at the detail around the bodywork of the Gen 2 taillight, it's molded with a design and has some nice lines that blend nicely with the whole truck. I also kinda like how the lights themselves have the little bulges and 3D detail in them. Not sure how the Gen 3 lights actually look in person but the blocking of colors in the lights themselves even looks a bit off to me. Also, the body line where the light inserts is just a straight line now, no curves or angles and less pronounced indent.

Rear Appliqué - Gen 2 - Again, it took me a minute to notice this but the Gen 3 appliqué is now just straight across line on the bottom edge with no angular detail. My Gen 2 (2020) has a nice angled cutout at the bottom that just adds a little design flare to the tailgate appliqué and looks less like an afterthought slap a piece of plastic on the back.

Interior

I won't go into too much detail here, but I do love the new interior, it looks to be more polished and finished but it also looks a little less rugged and off-roadish, if that makes any sense. I like my carbon fiber shift knob and a few other details I feel the Gen 2 still has the Gen 3 interior beat on, not in terms of quality or fit/finish just design and feel to match the trucks personality. The interior just has this confused "I want to be a Lincoln Navigator but I still want to be a truck" look to me. I'm sure it will grow more on me overtime.

Steering Wheel - Damn I really want to like that new steering wheel but again, it just looks less rugged and sporty. They even removed the perforated leather on the sides and the Raptor logo just doesn't look as mean or pronounced as it does on my Gen 2 wheel. My girlfriend was actually the first to point this out...

Anyway, not even sure why I took the time to write this, just really trying to put it in writing so that I can keep my want for "new and better" in check...lol.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think most truck buyers base their buying decisions on the aesthetics of the vehicle. News flash: they are all kind of big, ugly, vehicles with clumsy detailing and shoddy panel gaps. They're trucks after all. I think what most pickup truck drivers in general and Raptor/TRX buyers in particular are after is machismo. They want the thing to ooze testosterone from every pore. While I agree that the Gen 3 is not a home run in the looks department, I think you need to give it a chance to be seen in the flesh before passing judgement. Especially with the 37" tire package, I think it is going to have a lot of presence.

Enough about the styling since that is the last thing anyone should bring up with respect to this vehicle. In every other way, the Gen 3 is a step change from the Gen 2. The interior is loads better (find anyone who says the new F-150 interior is not an improvement), the infotainment/connectivity is better, the new 5-link rear suspension is going to be superior in every way imaginable. That alone will be transformative to the point that it will drive like a completely different vehicle. It has finally addressed the weak payload and tow ratings in the bargain. There is a lot of hand wringing going on about the new truck and it not being "good enough", especially from Gen 2 owners who, by the way, have not driven it yet. Wait until the first few converts start trading those 2017s and 2018s in for these things and the honest owner reviews come out. Not some flowery, "everything is great" shit review to affirm their decision but real, honest feedback. The truck is going to be be worlds better.

You hit the nail on the head. I'd argue main stream Raptor owners buy these things because they're perceived as the meanest vehicles riding around suburbia. Most are after the status, the latest generation and the I have more than you. A decent ride is just a plus.

RustyNutz

Reaction score
I had some similar sentiments. Being that i plan on having my '18 for a long time, im please that the new one doesnt really date the gen 2. When gen 2 came out, the gen 1 immediately looked Much older. To me the gen 3 looks more like a throwback to gen1 than an update to gen 2....which im glad so i dont feel overly jealous haha