Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

TRX throwing shade at the Raptor

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by quikag, May 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenb

kenb Full Access Member

I took both trucks off road many times. I didn't abuse them so I probably didn't use them to their full capabilities. I agree the Gen2 is a much better truck in most situations. I liked both. But if Ford ever makes a V8 Raptor you will see which one buyers prefer.

TYRCS likes this.
  2. K223

K223 Full Access Member

Hmmm :smiley-face-popcorn

Well a lot has been said and many ways to look at this. I like what @FordTechOne said. Do you think Ford is going to let someone drastically cut there market share?

When your on top, everyone is going to be gunning for you. Your the standard. Take for instance the heavy duty wars. Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax. Each diesel has taken the power lead over the years. The tow weights have increased. Look who’s on top this year. Ford again. This will go on and on, but #1 wants to keep being #1.

Who is Tesla gunning for? #1! Will Ford respond? I have to think so or the future in this market looks grim.

So back to the near future. If the Raptor is matched or beat performance wise, Ford will have to respond I certainly would think. In what way? This is truly anyone’s guess. Ford has hybrid options, and several engine choices to choose from. Offer engine choice’s in a specific limited segment “Performance brand” vehicle? I don’t know if I have ever seen a Ford Performance or SVT vehicle in the past to offer this.

It’s going to be interesting and fun to watch. Competition keeps it all going.

FordTechOne likes this.
  3. Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis Full Access Member

I speculate we’ll end up with two Raptors. A plain jane Raptor with a ecoboost hybrid like the one in the Lincoln Aviator (which makes 500hp) and then MAYBE a Raptor R with the Mustang GT500’s V8. That’ll let Ford keep the Raptor’s starting price at the mid $50K range while a Raptor R can go nuts and cross into the $100K range.

Donmatteo likes this.
  4. Kashoggio

Kashoggio Lives in a van down by the river.

I would like to see Ford Performance come up to the same level Mopar is. It’s amazing how a company that produces high performance vehicle won’t invest the time and money in the after sales performance market.

5. isis

isis Full Access Member

This is what I’m expecting.

6. Roc Nichols

Roc Nichols Member

Velociraptor 600 should do the trick

7. Donmatteo

Donmatteo Full Access Member

I think the rebel will disappoint. Based on the spy shots of the mule, looks like they dropped the side exhaust and the vented hood. It almost looks like they are just jamming a bigger engine in and adding some bolt ons with a coil rear. The more I read about it the less I think it will make an impact.

Booth9999 likes this.
  8. Truckasaurus

Truckasaurus Full Access Member

You left out low end torque, reliability, durability, and power potential.

I know, I know, we have a lot of guys with Napoleon complexes around here. But in reality, when you take the ego out of it, bigger is better.

9. Steebo

Steebo Member

Now that is something I can get behind. As a ford fanboy, I'm actually surprised Ford hasnt done something like this yet. I'm sure a lot of engineering went into the 3.5 and I'm wondering what the influencing factor was to add forced induction on a v6 as opposed to a v8. I'm sure most of it is with weight and less moving parts but hard to say for sure. Either way I cant complain about having 70% of the same motor as the ford gt

10. Truckasaurus

Truckasaurus Full Access Member

The trouble with the Ford GT comparison is that it's a lot of the important parts that are missing. Crank, rods, pistons, dry sump oiling system, turbos, etc. That's why the passenger car version has a much lower power ceiling. It would actually be pretty cool if Ford would put the actual GT motor into the Raptor to answer the TRX but we just don't know if that is a realistic option. Those engines are probably hand built at Roush-Yates. We know the actual Le Mans versions were. Those reportedly cost ~ $100k each and had custom billet blocks and cranks.

Easiest, cheapest, and most powerful answer is obviously just to put the GT500 motor in the truck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.