6.2 True Duals has weird noise at low RPM’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThomasP7

Reaction score
I have true duals no muffler, no resonator and no crossover whatsoever. Straight from the cats back dumped before the rear axle. When driving at low rpms it almost sounds like an air noise is coming out of the exhaust. I don’t know exactly how to describe it. It just sounds funny. There is no exhaust leak. I want a loud burble/growl when driving at low rpms. Not sure how to accomplish this sound. Any help would be appreciated! Also if there’s already a post regarding this I apologize. I’m not very good at navigating these forums this is only my second post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you naturally aspirated? I'm supercharged, but when I upgraded to Kooks true duals I definitely noticed more of an airflow sound in the exhaust - like you could hear it breathing better. That being said, mine has the Kooks resonator/mufflers, so not the same as yours. It's definitely not overwhelming on mine either - just very subtle. I'm not sure someone else would notice.

You've gotta be nasty loud with no mufflers. I fired mine up once like that and it was LOUD.

OP
OP
ThomasP7

ThomasP7

Reaction score
Are you naturally aspirated? I'm supercharged, but when I upgraded to Kooks true duals I definitely noticed more of an airflow sound in the exhaust - like you could hear it breathing better. That being said, mine has the Kooks resonator/mufflers, so not the same as yours. It's definitely not overwhelming on mine either - just very subtle. I'm not sure someone else would notice.

You've gotta be nasty loud with no mufflers. I fired mine up once like that and it was LOUD.
Yes I am naturally aspirated. I talked to a guy and he said that putting a y pipe in will probably help with the sound I’m wanting to get. And it’s very loud when I get higher in the RPM’s she absolutely screams!

ezndo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a loud, burble growl, then bolt on a pair of Stainless works S tube mufflers. Awesome sound, but I had to remove for my daughter as she is “borrowing” my truck for school. They are up for grabs in the for sale section.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a true dual Stainless Works system from stock manifolds (no Y pipe), Lightning style side exit, X-pipe, with Magnaflow mufflers.

No air sound in this system.

OP
OP
ThomasP7

ThomasP7

Reaction score
I have a true dual Stainless Works system from stock manifolds (no Y pipe), Lightning style side exit, X-pipe, with Magnaflow mufflers.

No air sound in this system.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up keeping the true duals and am getting an x pipe with Flowmaster Outlaw Series Race mufflers. I was told it was make the tone what I’m looking for. Do you have a video of your exhaust?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I ended up keeping the true duals and am getting an x pipe with Flowmaster Outlaw Series Race mufflers. I was told it was make the tone what I’m looking for. Do you have a video of your exhaust?

Yes, two threads. And they include db meter readings and video. The second thread here has a link to the first build thread.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/stainless-works-lightning-exit-sound-test.60248/

I have since added a Helmholz Resonator pipe.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your going to be unhappy with the dronemasters, they are going to be baritone and tinny rather than the low tone your looking for, and drone like crazy. From your description I think you want a set of glasspacks. Shorter are going to be louder and more rappy, longer are going to be smoother, the larger the case the quieter it will be. Resonators would probably work as well if you want to keep it real loud, the same rules apply.

You can forward to 3:30 if you don't want to listen to the guy that doesn't know how to wear his hat properly. I know it's a 5.0 but the muffler characteristics are going to be the same on any engine.

Last edited:

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sound videos without a db meter are not much help in determining real life volume levels. They may help some in helping with tone, but that is all.

OP
OP
ThomasP7

ThomasP7

Reaction score
Your going to be unhappy with the dronemasters, they are going to be baritone and tinny rather than the low tone your looking for, and drone like crazy. From your description I think you want a set of glasspacks. Shorter are going to be louder and more rappy, longer are going to be smoother, the larger the case the quieter it will be. Resonators would probably work as well if you want to keep it real loud, the same rules apply.

You can forward to 3:30 if you don't want to listen to the guy that doesn't know how to wear his hat properly. I know it's a 5.0 but the muffler characteristics are going to be the same on any engine.
I saw a video of a guy that had true dual glasspacks and it sounded like a “redneck-mobile” lol. Cool I guess if you have a square body on 44” boggers, not if you have a Raptor (in my opinion). However someone else may have glasspacks with a slightly different setup than him that may sound better