GEN 1 Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that if I dig in the forum I can find posts on this, but here goes.

Tried to start the truck and the dash went blank and the truck didn't do anything. Let it sit for an hour and tried again, it started after a few attempts, shut it off and it was dead again. Noticed that my Miles to empty and trip meters all reset to 0.

So I'm thinking alternator and battery are ok, just some electrical malfunction somewhere. Is this the dreaded fuse 27 issue?

I'd like to fix it myself if possible rather than pay the dealer gobs of cash.

OP
OP
shado

shado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford dealer was useless, couldn't get the truck in for 8 days, Total BS!!

Took it to a local shop and they found that my new battery (2 month old) was only putting out about 600amps.

Thinking about putting in a Optima battery, anyone have any opinions on that?

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Optima batteries used to be good, but have turned to junk. I've had great luck with the nicer gel Die Hards. I used to use Platinum, but I think they stopped making those, so the Gold series was the most recent one I bought.

JD-2013-SVT

Reaction score
I recently experienced the “dreaded Fuse 27 issue”. Won’t be symptoms like you described. It attempts to start making the starter noise and just doesn’t kick because fuse 27 sends power to the fuel pump so when it goes, no fuel being put in engines. Is easy to check if yours is wearing as you can see one side of the yellow 20 amp fuse in your fuse box turning brown. If it goes while driving you’re dead on road so I recommend getting it to dealer to get it fixed. $190.