Truck will be sitting for 3-5+ months?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So ill have a company truck for the next 3-5+ months. My truck will be sitting at a yard during that time, ill be 2hrs a way. What should I do so nothing goes wrong during that time? Unplug the battery, fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, what else?

do nothing but maybe fill the gas tank....3-5 months is nothing for a modern car / truck. When you are ready, fire it up and drive.

TheCzar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mustang sits for about 6 months a year thanks to ohio weather. Just fill the tank before putting it away and starting up when the weather gets better. Been doing that for the last 9 winters or so

BigDinNoCo

Reaction score
So ill have a company truck for the next 3-5+ months. My truck will be sitting at a yard during that time, ill be 2hrs a way. What should I do so nothing goes wrong during that time? Unplug the battery, fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank, what else?
As someone else mentioned, I would put some sort of rodent deterrent around, in, under the truck. I have a pretty big part of the plastic cover in the engine bay eaten away by rodents. They make little bags that have an unpleasant odor (rodents hate it anyway). I'd put 1 or 2 of those inside the wheels.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
You can mix peppermint solution with water and spray the engine down as this is used by some professionals to keep rodents at bay.

I read somewhere that using plywood under tires isn't necessary with tires used today but was applicable with tires made many moons ago.

Battery tender as mentioned or let it into a deep sleep, however, I'm not really sure how long it can hibernate and still start. One it goes into a deep sleep I don't believe you can start it remotely if my memory serves me correctly.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can mix peppermint solution with water and spray the engine down as this is used by some professionals to keep rodents at bay.

I read somewhere that using plywood under tires isn't necessary with tires used today but was applicable with tires made many moons ago.

Battery tender as mentioned or let it into a deep sleep, however, I'm not really sure how long it can hibernate and still start. One it goes into a deep sleep I don't believe you can start it remotely if my memory serves me correctly.
The plywood just keeps the moisture under the plywood instead of under the direct contact with the tire. IDK, bugs and shit get in the treads, I don't think its necessary but when you have OCD like me, I hate that crap. It makes me twitch , where the hell are the insert emoji's for here?

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use the ford app and start her up. I use it all the time. Take a Friday night and head over there for the weekend.
You can only start it twice from the Ford app, on a third attempt it’ll tell you that you must manually start it.

It’s two 15 min start/run cycles, or one 30 min. It would be nice if it was unlimited.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
You can only start it twice from the Ford app, on a third attempt it’ll tell you that you must manually start it.

It’s two 15 min start/run cycles, or one 30 min. It would be nice if it was unlimited.
You can set up a schedule to start it many times, but then again I do end up driving it.

When I was out for knee surgery recovery I believe I started manually many times over three or five weeks but only using 10 minute intervals, it was set to 10 and I forgot to change it to 15 min., however, it did go into a deep sleep and then I had to manually start it.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stabil, full tank, pump the tires up and park it. Be ready to jump it or put a new battery in when it’s time to roll. If you’re working that awful much I bet you get the dough for a fresh battery, lol.