Truck stalled and now won’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
P1636 is “Inductive Signature Chip Communication Error”; it sets when the PCM loses communication with an internal chip that controls the transmission solenoid states and fault reporting.

That DTC will cause shift issues, but should not result in a no crank. I’d recommend getting access to ForScan to see what other DTCs may be setting.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So last night I was driving home and all of a sudden I lost power to the truck. It won’t accelerate so I pulled over and shut it off. Now it won’t start. It won’t even turn over. Code read p1636 and u0422. Tried to jump it, nope. Fuse 27 has been done. Checked it anyways and still good. Tried auto start and it would turn over a few times but that’s it. Not sure where else to look before I take it to the stealership and get *****. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated
P1636 is for PCM, U0422 is CAN (Controller Area Network), I'd trace every inch of wiring harnesses and reseat/dielectric grease the crap out of every connector, to include terminals. Good luck!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any chance of rodent or pest infestation?

OP
OP
P

Penny

Reaction score
I decided to take it to the dealership and see what the issue might be. I tried everything I could. Jumped starter, jumping battery, new battery, changing relays and fuses. Nothing. At this point, I’ll get ready to be ***** by the dealership. Ran the code again today and only p1636 showed. Hopefully it’s just the ecu. 1400 is a fair price at this point. I just want my truck back.
I’ll keep you guys posted on what end up happening

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealership said wire hardness need to be changed. 702.00 is the cost to replace. Let’s hope that’s it.
Did they say where it was damaged? Passenger side melting to exhaust or driver's side wheelwell where it hangs down or like rodents or something else? Hope that cures it!

OP
OP
P

Penny

Reaction score
Hopefully I’ll get it back in the next few days and no more issue. I love the truck. Been dependable for the most part. So much that I barely drive my Tacoma since I have so much more space.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was melted on the right side touching the manifold.
Appreciate it! Yes, here's hoping they get it back to you quick, not sure how big that harness is but I've read of a couple cases where that has happened. Usually causes strange transmission issues I think but I did my best to re-route it so I don't find out!!