Truck Shifts from 1st gear to 5th gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This just started happening yesterday. My truck after starting and putting it into drive will run fine in first gear than instead of shifting to second gear it shifts to 5th gear and will remain stuck in 5th gear until I get up to speed and than slow thus forcing it to downshift. After the initial time the truck runs fine but it puts enormous stress on the truck prior to the shifting clearing itself. Has anyone had this happen before? I will be taking it into the shop asap but would like a heads up prior to taking it in. I have had no work done on the engine. I do run a 5 start tune but have reverted back to stock to see if it helps but so far after driving all day in stock nothing has changed.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I remember seeing another member with this issue before..

Just checked all tsb 2010-2012 f150, no tsb matching you issue..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have had something similar over the past two weeks. It wants to jump to 5th gear as fast as possible. and feels like there is no power. I can manually down shift to 2,3,4, but rpms stay constant. so does speed.

No tune or anything.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yikes! If it's still under warranty, drive it to run up some miles - cycle and clear that tune info before ya take it in... as best ya can... these guys are now saying that the techs may know and flag it anyway, but might not be as obvious. Any better in Tow/Haul mode?

OP
OP
strafe

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Than into the shop she goes tomorrow. Do not want to damage anything drivetrain related. I will post results tomorrow evening. It is under warranty but not worried about them covering it. Tow/haul does nothing to make it better. I just want it back to where it was the past year and a half even with a tune on that long.

OP
OP
strafe

strafe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got my truck back after they told me they could not find the problem. I asked the tech to take a drive with me and sure enough, start engine start moving in 1st gear than when it should shift to 2nd it jumps to 5th. The tech has the nerve to tell me sometimes trucks do that. So I lose it on him and get his manager involved. The manager takes it for a ride with me and it happens again. Finally something may get done. They re-flash the computer and find out that sure enough there is something wrong with the ECU. So replace everything and sure enough it is a known problem but no TSB yet and no problems fixing it under warranty. They never said anything about the tune.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I heard that the Raptor ECU's are "smart" and can detect when gas prices are high then the ECU goes into "Super Saver" mode...1st to 5th shifts will get you that 20mpg if you let it!!!