Truck Runs Horrible When Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my remote start like 90% of the time, starting it even as I am walking over to it. The truck seems to have a complex startup cycle and it needs to get through that before it will run proper.
This may be the trick. I will continue testing and see if the truck actually needs to be warmed up, or just needs to complete some sort of "cycle".

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any turbocharged GTDI engine...regardless of dual injection (PFI/DI) like these engines...needs at least 30 seconds to settle in. The PCM algorithms are designed entirely to light off the catalytic converters as quickly as possible while minimizing cold start emissions. That results in less than desirable performance on a cold start, which includes but is not limited to rough idle, change in engine sound, and abnormal shifting.

OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any turbocharged GTDI engine...regardless of dual injection (PFI/DI) like these engines...needs at least 30 seconds to settle in. The PCM algorithms are designed entirely to light off the catalytic converters as quickly as possible while minimizing cold start emissions. That results in less than desirable performance on a cold start, which includes but is not limited to rough idle, change in engine sound, and abnormal shifting.

Thanks for the response. Is this why my Corsa Xtreme exhaust sounds completely different on a cold start if I take off without warming up the truck? It is hard to put into words how it sounds different, but it almost sounds like the exhaust is clogged and the air isn't moving in the right direction. It is actually kind of embarrassing and I try to accelerate as slow as possible from a stop until I get up to speed at least once.

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a 2019? Let me know what they say.

Went in for a fresh trans tune on Monday, TOTALLY fixed the issues I've been having. Smooth downshifts on decel and clean drive engagement. No more clunks and jerks.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Is this why my Corsa Xtreme exhaust sounds completely different on a cold start if I take off without warming up the truck? It is hard to put into words how it sounds different, but it almost sounds like the exhaust is clogged and the air isn't moving in the right direction. It is actually kind of embarrassing and I try to accelerate as slow as possible from a stop until I get up to speed at least once.

The electronic bov can be held open through this cycle. It can easily be heard with the atmospheric bov mod

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Exactly. The cold start algorithms will make both the intake and exhaust sound strange. If you monitor your digital vacuum gauge during cold start as well, you'll notice that the engine doesn't build any significant vacuum until it gets to warm idle.