Truck Runs Horrible When Cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously owned a 2017 Raptor that had all kinds of issues and now I have a 2019 which runs great except for when it is cold (my 2017 also did the same thing). I have never had a vehicle drive so different when cold verses warmed up. The acceleration and shifting is horrible. It doesn't matter if it is 40 degrees outside or 90, you are in for an interesting ride until you have gone a mile or two. I know cars/trucks will shift at higher RPMs until they warm up, but what I have experienced with both of my trucks can honestly be embarrassing if you have a passenger. Other posts have mentioned having the dealer update the programming, but my 2019 should already have their latest algorithms applied. I can't be the only one experiencing this problem. Do I just need to let it warm up? If so, for how long? Any other potential cures?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Um, get a 2020, third time is a charm.

If you let it idle for a few minutes before putting it in gear, does it act the same?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean it is a specialty vehicle designed to be a little more aggressive then a standard f-150. modern electronics are cool, but there is only so much they can do to compensate for the lack of heat.

my 2018 is a little skittish until the coolant temp hits 160ish degrees. just part of dealing with a performance vehicle.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I previously owned a 2017 Raptor that had all kinds of issues and now I have a 2019 which runs great except for when it is cold (my 2017 also did the same thing). I have never had a vehicle drive so different when cold verses warmed up. The acceleration and shifting is horrible. It doesn't matter if it is 40 degrees outside or 90, you are in for an interesting ride until you have gone a mile or two. I know cars/trucks will shift at higher RPMs until they warm up, but what I have experienced with both of my trucks can honestly be embarrassing if you have a passenger. Other posts have mentioned having the dealer update the programming, but my 2019 should already have their latest algorithms applied. I can't be the only one experiencing this problem. Do I just need to let it warm up? If so, for how long? Any other potential cures?

How quickly after starting the vehicle do you take off?
What spark plugs are in the truck?
A lot is going on when cold starting a vehicle, below are some conditions to name a few:
-Once started, the truck will attempt to go closed loop as soon as possible(when o2 temps and time delays are satisfied) for greater control over emissions.
-AFR is a tad bit rich on startup for stability.
-Oil is slowly heating up reducing parasitic loss and friction when compared to start up.
-Internal clearances in the engine are expanding from heat, so oil pressure marginally decreases until up to full operating temp.
-Engine coolant temp is rising thus ignition timing is changing(as cylinder temps increase).
-Trans, transfer case, and diff fluid are all heating reducing parasitic losses and changing viscosity.
It is a balancing act to account for so many quick changes in such a short time, and to have the vehicle drive nicely.

You can check if there has been a firmware update already for your vehicle at the dealer, and perhaps that could be of benefit. We've had in house trucks that had firmware updated before we tuned them and it did make a difference in some cases prior to tuning, but those were 17s and 18s.

You also could perhaps try letting your truck warm up for 1,5, and 10 minute intervals and see if/when it seems to be happiest when starting off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the responses. If I let the truck warm up, the issues pretty much go away. I haven't timed how long of a warm up is required, but generally several minutes will drastically change how she drives in a good way. I don't mind doing this, but every other car/truck that I have ever owned drove fairly normal when cold. I guess I just added another temperamental lady to my life who needs warmed up before she is good to go :).

buyfire

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's going to the dealer on Monday for the same issue. But what I'm more concerned with is the 5-3 downshift on deceleration. Doesn't matter if the truck is warmed up or not, that shift can be quite harsh.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never hurts to let a hi-po motor warm up. They're not like your regular get in and go Toyota. I'd say give it at least 3-5 minutes.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop In to the dealership and have the programming checked also the level of fluid.

Ford has made a few adjustments to trans fluid levels.

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's going to the dealer on Monday for the same issue. But what I'm more concerned with is the 5-3 downshift on deceleration. Doesn't matter if the truck is warmed up or not, that shift can be quite harsh.

PCM flash did wonders for mine.