GEN 1 Truck randomly shut off while driving...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This did happen to me once - years ago, and never again. I HAVE since done the Fuse 27 fix while doing other crap, but there was a big chunk of time in between the time it happened and the time I did the fix. I never figured it out, and it's never happened again. Fuse 27 is my best bet. I hate gremlins like this.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need to replace fuse 27! Check and see if there is a fuse in slot 70 of fuse panel this will tell you if it has been don

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Gotcha. Will check for sticker and slot 70. I was in there a few days ago and don't recall seeing a sticker. Thanks.

OP
OP
V

Verruckt

Reaction score
this just happened to me. Did you ever happen to find out what caused it!? Thanks

It was fuse 27 as others are saying. I replaced it and it never happened again.

Still don't know why Ford never issue a recall for this - was freakin scary to have the truck just flat out turn completely off while driving.

BoostedToy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone had this happen before? Any idea what it could be?

When driving into work today, I went to make a right hand turn into the parking lot and my truck just COMPLETELY shut off. I'm talking, steering wheel locked (no, not even like just the power steering was lost - LOCKED), all electronics in truck went off, and it came to a complete halt. The small screen in the cluster popped up with a bunch of things, and I only caught a "low oil" light.

Scared the **** out of me. Tried to restart it immediately and nothing worked. Second time I tried it fired right up.

I checked the oil level and its perfect.
Checked for codes - none.
Checked for any obvious electrical signs like fuses, battery cables rubbing / frayed, etc. and nothing. Everything looks perfect.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm baffled, especially with no codes. The only thing I could think is maybe the lock cylinder is ****** up since the steering wheel locked? Is this a common thing?
Fuse 27 as others have said but you may also have a faulty oil sensor. If the oil level drops to a certain lower limit, or if the sensor is faulting, it will signal to kill the engine to protect it.