GEN 1 Truck randomly shut off while driving...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not entirely sure if related, but...
We had a 2004 Expedition forever.
A few years before selling it, it would die unexpectedly.
Pull over, re-start, and fine for a while.
Did it to the wife who daily drove it two or three times.
Then I started looking into it.
Replaced crank sensor after reading that was a possible cause.
Fine for a few weeks.
Kept digging and found there was a relay for the fuel system soldered into the fusebox that overheated and was a common issue.
After debating if I wanted to tear the fuse box out, I did.
Sure enough.
Melted relay.
I got a ton of VERY well detailed and documented help on FTE.
Ordered relay and an electrician I worked with de-soldered old and solder in new.
Was only a few bucks for the relay.
Fixed it.
I would have never guessed since it seemed like more of a total electrical shut off then a fuel stopping.
Don't know if there is anything like that in the newer trucks, but will share just in case.

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no help here.

I will tell you the story of my 2003 Cobra stalling on me one time though. Went to take off from a light and it just died as soon as I started moving. It took 3 times of cranking over to get it to fire and I had to give it gas to stay running. Limped it into a nearby lot and looked it over, everything looked fine. It started back up just fine and has run perfect ever since- that was 10 years ago.
Ahhh, the classic random 03 cobra stall. Never had an issue with it but I heard of its prevalence. I had the gas pedal get stuck under the carpet at an 1/8 mile track which was scary

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ahhh, the classic random 03 cobra stall. Never had an issue with it but I heard of its prevalence. I had the gas pedal get stuck under the carpet at an 1/8 mile track which was scary
Not quite, that stall happened as you slowed to a stop in neutral- the engine RPMs would drop so low that it would die. They fixed that with a new EEC strategy that went out with the 2nbd run cars, which mine had. The incident with mine had happened after I had been idling for 30 seconds at the light, and then took off normally. Long cranks to re-start, and then it would die. Had to do that 4 or 5 times. Still is so weird - never anything like it since and I still have that car 20 years later.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need to replace fuse 27! Check and see if there is a fuse in slot 70 of fuse panel this will tell you if it has been don
Mine was relocated to slot 70 by a Ford dealer - I’m not an adept electrician, and if they screw it it falls on them.

They put a sticker on top of the box that says “Fuel Pump Fuse 70”. Nice of them I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts