GEN 2 Truck Order Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor 17

Reaction score
mine is sitting on rail car in dear born , all the info i have its off the so called ramp 59 goes they waiting on a train , original eta was 11/18

raptor 17

Reaction score
2 weeks of sitting in a rail car status tbd going nowhere , they tell me now maybe the rail needs to be worked on lol

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the section 179 (Hummer tax) conversation.

I'm only speaking for myself but I'd run that past a tax attorney. There's a question in my mind that a flip over cage for a bed extender is not literally a bed over 6 feet. Plus there's the bit about not easily accessible from the cab part, I could see the IRS pointing to your rear window.

It is far better to stay on the good side of our friendly civil servants in the IRS.

I think the $25k deduction limit applies to the Raptor due to its bed being shorter than 6 feet, but there would be no limit on the first year “bonus depreciation” due to being over 6,000 lbs GVWR. Basically, you can deduct up to $25k for the purchase, and then depreciate the rest of the value based on “use”—essentially writing off the entire truck purchase during the first year provided you use the truck for business. At least that’s my reading of the code (I’m not a tax expert or tax lawyer).

OP
OP
E

EMPAC623

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the $25k deduction limit applies to the Raptor due to its bed being shorter than 6 feet, but there would be no limit on the first year “bonus depreciation” due to being over 6,000 lbs GVWR. Basically, you can deduct up to $25k for the purchase, and then depreciate the rest of the value based on “use”—essentially writing off the entire truck purchase during the first year provided you use the truck for business. At least that’s my reading of the code (I’m not a tax expert or tax lawyer).
But if I’ve done mileage for the last 3 years I can’t just go and change to vehicle expenses tho can I?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But if I’ve done mileage for the last 3 years I can’t just go and change to vehicle expenses tho can I?

Are you talking about mileage vs. fuel deduction? I’m talking about depreciation of the truck. The IRS thinks your truck has a useful value of 5 years for your business and lets you deduct the loss of value for each year (aka depreciation). As of 2018, you can accelerate that depreciation and deduct it all during the first year of purchase. I’m not a tax advisor—but it’s definitely worth exploring the “bonus depreciation” introduced under Trump’s tax plan with a tax advisor though since these Raptors might be financially a good “work truck”.