Truck not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he needs to change his battery. those little chargers wont be accurate in reading true voltage or amps. needs a load test on the battery. but for some reason he is stubborn and wont try a different battery/jump start. need to verify proper cranking amperage and battery voltage before doing anything else. the amount of codes that get thrown with a dead battery will have you chasing your tail for days. cant fix a phantom code due to a bad battery. will cost you thousands. as @ScottRaptor just found out, his battery is toast even though it read proper voltage.
once we can truly verify battery is good, then we can look for other issues

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. And ow. The techs did OK. The rest of the dealership? Crikey. But a dead battery? Talk about a problem the techs see all the time. Ought to be a cakewalk.
dont put it past them. they were the ones who told me my 4wd issue was because of my tires. you know, we wont work on your truck until you pay us $1400 for new tires. when they could have done actual work and find out it was a 4wd actuator. so a dead battery...... that could cost you a $2000 bcm before they find a battery issue

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
At this point, I would recommend disconnecting all the connections at the engine harness and use q-tips to clean the contacts. When that doesn't work, consider having the dealer scan the truck and chase down the codes. Next on the list would be to disconnect the battery and touch the positive and negative cables together overnight.

Then and only then, once you've exhausted all options, should you even consider using a known good battery.

Oh, and did you accidentally put 87 octane or diesel in the tank? These trucks hate that.