GEN 1 Truck not moving from stop while in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intrlaz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a strange issue in the last few weeks. The truck will not move when i remove my foot from the brake while in gear from a stop, in forward or reverse. It also drives sluggishly, although not exaggerated. It almost seems as if the parking brake is partially engaged. I've also put the truck in neutral on my sloped driveway and it hardly rolled.

2013 with 80k miles. Transmission fluid changed at 70 with larger cooler installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bet one of your calipers is seizing up. Do you have access to a infared thermometer, once you drive for a few miles, take a reading at each brake caliper and see if one is really hot, or you could put your hand on the rim near the center and see which one is hotter, if it is a brake issue, one of the wheels or "both rears will be pretty warm if the emergency brake is not releasing".

OP
OP
I

intrlaz

Reaction score
@carstereo - yes it does and shifts through all gears. everything seems normal besides not moving from stop. It feels somewhat sluggish getting off the line but that could be in my head.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@carstereo - yes it does and shifts through all gears. everything seems normal besides not moving from stop. It feels somewhat sluggish getting off the line but that could be in my head.
Another thing if not the brakes, is if it is locked in 4 wheel drive somehow, but should still roll easy downward in nuetral.

OP
OP
I

intrlaz

Reaction score
I bet one of your calipers is seizing up. Do you have access to a infared thermometer, once you drive for a few miles, take a reading at each brake caliper and see if one is really hot, or you could put your hand on the rim near the center and see which one is hotter, if it is a brake issue, one of the wheels or "both rears will be pretty warm if the emergency brake is not releasing".

Confirmed front passenger is significantly hotter, reading 'Hi' on my cheapo temp gauge, while all the other side was ~300. Both rears were ~200. You were also correct that the wheel itself was significantly hotter...would burn my hand if left on too long.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Is this an easy DIY job for mechanically inclined with tools? Or just bring to my mechanic?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Confirmed front passenger is significantly hotter, reading 'Hi' on my cheapo temp gauge, while all the other side was ~300. Both rears were ~200. You were also correct that the wheel itself was significantly hotter...would burn my hand if left on too long.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Is this an easy DIY job for mechanically inclined with tools? Or just bring to my mechanic?
Based on your experience with brake diagnostics ( not hating here), I would take it to your mechanic, there is a core charge on calipers and you may as well do both fronts at the same time, make sure your mechanic lubes all the sliders and stuff. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.