Truck learning my driving style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been out of the country for almost seven months and I'll be going home soon. What's the best/fastest way to get my truck to learn my driving again? My wife has driven the truck occasionally, mostly around the city, some freeway and taking the grandson up skiing a few times. I'd like it to just remember me and my driving style right away but as I recall, it's going to take a while to learn "me" again. Any suggestions? This isn't something that it'll recognize from my key fob is it? Thanks gang!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
find a place where you can cut loose a bit, cane it for few miles, use different drive modes if you can, and you should slot right in. The truck may hold a grudge for a few days, but will eventually welcome you back.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way would be to reset adaptive learning. Easy to do if you have a tuner if not just unplug the battery for 10 min and it should do the trick. After it’s reset drive it to your liking.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn adaptive learning off? I usually drive like a grandpa, but every now and then I floor it and I want it to move, right now. The damn thing sits there for two or three seconds before deciding that I'm serious. Meanwhile, the situation I'm trying to avoid is getting closer and more dangerous. I don't have time to change modes when there's an emergency and I don't have the energy to drive like an A-hole all the time. Seems like there ought to be a way to opt out of the computerized idiocy.

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try the pedal commander, it worked well on my 15 f150. You can adjust the knob on the fly for a more sensitive pedal.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Is there a way to turn adaptive learning off? I usually drive like a grandpa, but every now and then I floor it and I want it to move, right now. The damn thing sits there for two or three seconds before deciding that I'm serious. Meanwhile, the situation I'm trying to avoid is getting closer and more dangerous. I don't have time to change modes when there's an emergency and I don't have the energy to drive like an A-hole all the time. Seems like there ought to be a way to opt out of the computerized idiocy.
No, there’s not. That said, adaptive strategy isn’t the cause of your complaint, it’s the base ECO normal mode programming. I call it ‘lazy’ and I wonder how many models Ford hobbles like this.
I believe @FordTechOne articulated it better by saying something along the lines of ‘the Raptor doesn’t have a true normal drive mode, our normal mode is the regular F150’s eco mode’. That sure sounds about right.

There’s no correcting the less than optimal normal mode programming within the warranty. A properly done tune will adjust the strategy in normal and you can band aid the issue with a pedal commander, but you cannot be greedy with p/c. it’s just an expensive gadget that alters the TPS signal to make the computer think you’re asking for more throttle than you are. P/C has various settings for each mode and if you go too far ... like Race +2 or something, it’s like a binary throttle. Some folks get DTC from them but I find that throttle unusable anyway so I stick to City through city +2.

I haven’t driven a base F150 / Platinum or other of the truck line, but the Explorer ST normal mode is like driving a regular vehicle - you press on the gas, the truck goes. You press harder, it goes more.

I know they’re trying to scavenge fuel and all, but sooner or later someone will get injured or worse as a result of this, or the auto stop start “feature”. I had that damn stop/start happen to me in a divided highway median once, and that delay is not insignificant, I’d wager it was somewhere between .5-1 second to 60.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It would be a big help if the Raptor had the shifter layout similar to the Mustang with an extra 'S' for sport mode. Not the perfect answer, but for those who want to always drive in sport mode, you can select S instead of D.

My understanding is that the Mustang has Sport and Sport Plus, slightly different, but it does seem to be make things a little easier.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, there’s not. That said, adaptive strategy isn’t the cause of your complaint, it’s the base ECO normal mode programming. I call it ‘lazy’ and I wonder how many models Ford hobbles like this...
Gotcha. So the tranny starts out lazy. You can train it to be better, but you can never back off on the training or it goes back to fat, drunk, and stupid. That's no way to go through life. :)

I know they’re trying to scavenge fuel and all, but sooner or later someone will get injured or worse as a result of this...

I'd be surprised if it hasn't already happened. I guess I need to get in the habit of switching to Tow/haul mode every time I get in. Annoying. I just want to get in and drive.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just drive the truck.....it is not going to change that much stuff. don't over think it.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. So the tranny starts out lazy. You can train it to be better, but you can never back off on the training or it goes back to fat, drunk, and stupid. That's no way to go through life. :)

I'd be surprised if it hasn't already happened. I guess I need to get in the habit of switching to Tow/haul mode every time I get in. Annoying. I just want to get in and drive.

If tow/haul didn't do such aggressive downshifts I would probably use it as my DD mode. I use normal mode and encounter the same issue you do.