Truck almost burnt to the ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webb24

Reaction score
If you park your truck outside please pop your hood and make sure no rodents has built nests in the engine bay. I took my truck for a drive and when I got home smoke was rolling out of the engine. In a panic I finally got the hood up to discover flames coming from behind the motor! I quickly got a fire extinguisher and put the flames out. I discovered lots of dried leaves and material from rodents building nests. I have no doubt it would of been a total loss had i not had that fire extinguisher. I think everything is fine. I tested all functions I could think of. Rodents seem to love the foam engine cover. Anyone have any suggestions to keep rodents out of the engine bay?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't have an answer on how to stop them but I had some rodent damage recently. One got on top of the fuel tank and chewed some wires. Truck appeared to run ok but it did trigger a check engine light. Took it to the dealer not knowing the cause and thinking i'm covered under warranty only for them to find the rodent damage. Cost about a grand to fix. Luckily I got it covered under comp with my insurance.

Pinned

Reaction score
If you leave the car parked for long periods they love to build nests inside them and eat the wires. Daily driving seems to keep the critters out!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Purchase some pure concentrated peppermint oil from a health store and pour it into a spray bottle, 61Gl1me2sKL._AC_UY1000_.jpgfrom Amazon, and spray around the engine and underneath as I've read this will do the trick because they hate the smell.

You may have to reapply every few months.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
rodents and wires of a vehicle go hand in hand. Matt Moreman of obsessedgarage.com had the wires on his 911 eaten. Cost over 10 grand to replace. Way I see it, ain't nothing wrong with a total loss so long as you are insured.