Trouble starting after full fill up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past few months my truck has had a hard time starting up after a 100% fill up. (See video) If you hold the key long enough it may start. Or you’d need to move key back to acc and try again. Sometimes it starts right up 2nd or 3rd time, and sometimes it starts and feels choked and pops and you have to give it some gas and then it’s fine. This only happens after a compete fill up, any other time when less than 100% it starts right up no problem. The dealer replaced the Fuel canister purge valve, as I’ve heard of this being an issue, but no joy. No codes and I don’t think it’s the fuse 27 thing because truck will start eventually and starts anytime under 100% fuel.

Anyone have any insight? I’d like to point the dealer in the right direction other than blindly replacing parts. The video sounds like the starter is not engaging for a few seconds.

Current motor is a complete 6.6L Livernois Stroker, S&B intake, BBK throttle body, SW headers/exhaust, custom dyno tune.

@Livernois Motorsports any ideas?

IMG_9199.MOV

Last edited:
OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Video didn’t load. Clicking upload a file only lets me select pictures....?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need a new starter, and make sure all the bolts are in.
One of bolts is a bitch to deal with and I've heard a few times it gets left out.

I'm assuming you have headers, if you do you might want to use some heat shielding warp to protect the starter.

OP
OP
nick0331

nick0331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a new starter, and make sure all the bolts are in.
One of bolts is a bitch to deal with and I've heard a few times it gets left out.

I'm assuming you have headers, if you do you might want to use some heat shielding warp to protect the starter.
Actually the dealer just had to take passenger side header off to replace the broken dip stick tube. 8hr job hahaha. The headers are ceramic coated, I’d rather not wrap them. So I think I’m going to have the dealer check fuse 27 (since it’s easy) and then inspect/replace the starter. Thanks @MTF

D

Deleted member 17706

For the past few months my truck has had a hard time starting up after a 100% fill up. (See video) If you hold the key long enough it may start. Or you’d need to move key back to acc and try again. Sometimes it starts right up 2nd or 3rd time, and sometimes it starts and feels choked and pops and you have to give it some gas and then it’s fine. This only happens after a compete fill up, any other time when less than 100% it starts right up no problem. The dealer replaced the Fuel canister purge valve, as I’ve heard of this being an issue, but no joy. No codes and I don’t think it’s the fuse 27 thing because truck will start eventually and starts anytime under 100% fuel.

Anyone have any insight? I’d like to point the dealer in the right direction other than blindly replacing parts. The video sounds like the starter is not engaging for a few seconds.

Current motor is a complete 6.6L Livernois Stroker, S&B intake, BBK throttle body, SW headers/exhaust, custom dyno tune.

@Livernois Motorsports any ideas?

IMG_9199.MOV

I had my actual fuel pump (not fuse 27) go out in 2017. The truck would turn over but would never start. If it only has done it with a full tank of gas, then it could be your fuel pump.

If not that, then your starter. Let us know what you find. Lol your starter would be easier to replace then dropping the fuel tank and replacing the pump.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually the dealer just had to take passenger side header off to replace the broken dip stick tube. 8hr job hahaha. The headers are ceramic coated, I’d rather not wrap them. So I think I’m going to have the dealer check fuse 27 (since it’s easy) and then inspect/replace the starter. Thanks @MTF

You can put some warp on the starter not the headers.

Your starter is not engaging it's not a fuse 27 problem.
The headers throw out a tremendous amount of heat ceramic coated or not and right up against the starter.

D

Deleted member 17706

You can put some warp on the starter not the headers.

Your starter is not engaging it's not a fuse 27 problem.

I didn’t watch the video, but after watching it, I agree with you. The sound of the truck not getting any fuel was completely different. But it would be strange for your starter to only do it when you have a full tank of gas.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The amount of time it takes to fuel up is not enough time for the starter to cool down.
And I bet the grease is all cooked up so the starter gear is not sliding back and forth as it should.
And if the battery is a little weak, this compounds the problem.

Last edited: