Trip planned to remote area - what to bring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got a trip planned over labor day to the canyon lands park, an area called the Maze.
It's remote and we had to pre register, the NPS is stressing being prepared and bringing everything we may need. Wanted to ask you guys that have done more offroading than me, what I should bring.

Short list of what I have.
Air compressor
extra fluids
shackels and tow straps
Extra fuel
plenty of water
traction mats

I also need to put a basic tool kit together, any suggestions on that as well.

Appreciate it!!
we're excited to get out for a long weekend and see this area.

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
44 mag is a great all purpose choice, as is a 45-70 and some big ole honking flat point lead bullet bear loads. Shotguns are lotsa fun too!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've got a trip planned over labor day to the canyon lands park, an area called the Maze.
It's remote and we had to pre register, the NPS is stressing being prepared and bringing everything we may need. Wanted to ask you guys that have done more offroading than me, what I should bring.

Short list of what I have.
Air compressor
extra fluids
shackels and tow straps
Extra fuel
plenty of water
traction mats

I also need to put a basic tool kit together, any suggestions on that as well.

Appreciate it!!
we're excited to get out for a long weekend and see this area.

terrain maps, if available, separate GPS if you don’t already have one. You may not have cell coverage there.

first aid kit, including at least a tourniquet, a couple / few ‘battle dressing’ pressure bandages, some array of bandaids, ace bandage and splint materials, meds, including pain relievers, anti-histamines, benadryl and pepcid in case you suddenly find out you’re allergic to something the hard way.

OP
OP
Dalamar

Dalamar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahah, you guys are fun!
I totally forgot the B-section.

Beer
Beef Jerky
Bullets

:)

Thanks for the suggestion SmurfSlayer!
Good call on the extra first aid stuff.

I have a printed map, looked at a few Apps for off roading, and they seem to only be helpful if you know where you're going and pre load it the maps, pay the fee ect...., no experience here and haven't used one before. Will the factory NAV be of any help?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
apps for cell phone? they use assisted gps, no cell, no positioning. I’m suggesting you bring a 2nd gps. Yes, a cell may work, but it also might not if you don’t have signal.

Factory nav may be of at least breadcrumb assistance but not much else, it’s a road based nav system.