Trimming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
A lot of people offered real help to your question, you just didn't like their answers.

Anyways, hope that you enjoy your truck.

OP
OP
Jake Rehberger
Reaction score
Looks like you figured it out, and didn’t need help.

In all fairness to all that replied, including me in this case, you didn’t specify (from memory) what you were rubbing on. Seeing that you trimmed the fender liner I would wager any real compression and you’ll be hitting somewhere else.

Also most people seem to run zero offset wheels, that is 1 5/16” plus the spacer you were running is sticking that tire out there pretty far.

Onto asking for advice, gen 1 and gen 2 hammer the pinch welds flat. I have yet to see the inner fender/firewall of a gen 3 to see how they made that connection. That is also to say I have not seen a thread on that topic either.
It’s all good. I just expected more from the forum. I didn’t trim any of the fender liner, but I trimmed excess behind it. Then the fender liner was able to bend/fold back, giving me the clearance that I needed.

Also, the 0 offset wheels I’m running have a pretty deep backspace, so without the spacers, they were still inside the fender flare. With the spacers, they poke out 1.25”.

Attachments

• E81D6581-45CB-4C73-B0D8-665ACC8149EB.jpeg
    E81D6581-45CB-4C73-B0D8-665ACC8149EB.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Jake Rehberger
Reaction score
A lot of people offered real help to your question, you just didn't like their answers.

Anyways, hope that you enjoy your truck.
My question was: does anyone have any info/insight on trimming.

The responses I got where:
Remove your spacers
Get different fender flares
Get a 4” lift and add 4” spacers.

Not one response had anything to do with my question.

It really doesn’t matter, like most things, I’ll figure it out, but it definitely set the the expectation of advise from FRF if I have any future questions.

I love my truck. Thanks.

OP
OP
Jake Rehberger
Reaction score
Minor off-roading. I lose 3-4” of travel with the poke, so significant enough to not want to jump it with the current setup, but I maintain the option of pulling the spacers when I want to hit trails for the weekend.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind I assume the majority of people here are die hard raptor enthusiast here and will upgrade the raptor but they try to stay true to what the design was meant to do. example criticizing anything but 17's or 18's. you did a tire mod that changes the whole geometry of the suspension. if you aren't a big time off-roader and use it for light slow speed off-roading you should be fine but anything hard you I am sure are aware of the risk youre going to destroy something. that spacer is just creating a huge weak spot. they sell them but they will eventually fail with any serious off-roading guaranteed. you should have expected the responses you got since you didn't specifically say you are not changing a thing and just want trimming advise and nothing else. and yes your right nobody answered the question directly but they were giving you legitimate alternatives to stop the rubbing other than the need to trim.

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The responses I got where:
Remove your spacers
Get different fender flares
Get a 4” lift and add 4” spacers.

Not one response had anything to do with my question.

It really doesn’t matter, like most things, I’ll figure it out, but it definitely set the the expectation of advise from FRF if I have any future questions.

I love my truck. Thanks.

You requested advice. Taking your spacers off was advice that would have fixed your rubbing issues. Not only that but your going in the negative direction of raptor capabilities having your tires stick out 4 inches from your fender.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m ready to do some trimming, but I wanted any advise and/or pictures of what people have done. Even a link to a previous thread would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I didn’t read your original question as specifically asking for advice on trimming. Maybe others didn’t either and that’s why you got the responses you did.

elking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m new to posting in the forum as I just got my Gen3 last week. I’ve been trying different searches and can’t find what I’m looking for. Hoping someone can help.

I got new wheels and tires.
4WP t-series 0 offset
37x12.5 Mickey Thompson BB A/T
1.5” mammoth wheel spacers
1.5” RPG perch Collars
1” Foutz Rear Shock Spacer

Adjusted the Caster to +4.9 degrees.

I’m still rubbing on the inside screw that holds the flare down and the tire is also pulling my fender liner out everytime I turn.

I’m ready to do some trimming, but I wanted any advise and/or pictures of what people have done. Even a link to a previous thread would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Pardon my ignorance here. Why are you doing all of these mods? Every mod you mentioned above negatively affects the suspension geometry and performance of an 80+k engineered off road machine. What is your ultimate goal? Looks or off-road performance?
What do you gain with 0 offset wheel plus spacers? The answer is headache plus rubbing and that is why you are here asking for advice. Get rid of them and enjoy your new truck.

Last edited:

blue22raptor

Reaction score
Yeah, the spacers are def the problem! With 1.5” spacers and 0 offset wheels, you are around a -40 offset. That is a bit too much.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind I assume the majority of people here are die hard raptor enthusiast here and will upgrade the raptor but they try to stay true to what the design was meant to do. example criticizing anything but 17's or 18's. you did a tire mod that changes the whole geometry of the suspension. if you aren't a big time off-roader and use it for light slow speed off-roading you should be fine but anything hard you I am sure are aware of the risk youre going to destroy something. that spacer is just creating a huge weak spot. they sell them but they will eventually fail with any serious off-roading guaranteed. you should have expected the responses you got since you didn't specifically say you are not changing a thing and just want trimming advise and nothing else. and yes your right nobody answered the question directly but they were giving you legitimate alternatives to stop the rubbing other than the need to trim.
Couldn’t have said it better.