TriboTex oil additive (and others for the conversation)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know there is controversy to any additive for motors but just wondering if anyone has tried this TriboTex or any other brands. I just saw this on one of the 10 or 20 shows I watch on MT and thought I would post the question. I know HotShots and other brands are out there. I remember Carroll Shelby touting one brand before he passed and he was a no shit kind of guy so wondered if he just finally caved to the money or actually believed in that product. Sorry I can't remember the name of the one Shelby promoted. Let it fly folks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil additives are not recommended by any OEM. If the ingredients in the additives offered improved oil performance or reduced wear, they'd already be in the oil formulas. The only exception to this is zinc/phosphorus, which has been reduced significantly in the latest API certifications due to emissions standards. This can be an issue in older engines with flat tappet cams, non-roller rockers, etc.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carroll Shelby might of talked of one back in the day for older engines as FordTechOne mentioned above....But I own a Shelby Raptor w/Whipple Supercharger,done at the Shelby Factory,and they never recommended adding an oil additive.

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, I am not condoning this and have never used them in anything I own or have owned. I just saw the advertisement and wanted everyone's opinion, especially FordTechOne. Thanks everyone and keep them coming

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Additives are unnecessary unless your engine is a flat tappet cam, and then you will want a zinc additive. Nothing needed for any engine that came from the factory in a raptor. Spend the money on a hula girl for your dash or some pine tree air fresheners... you will get more out of them.

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a hula girl who wears a pine tree freshener around her neck, how did you know? Seriously though good to know that folks aren't falling for this stuff. That tribotex crap was $100 for a syringe full!

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Z Max was the product that Carroll Shelby endorsed. On the commercial he said he put it in every car that came out if his garage. Someone must have gotten to him with $$$

OP
OP
RaptorVA

RaptorVA

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That site spinoff.nasa.org is a legit site and there is a lot of information about many different technologies being developed. Being an engineer by trade I am certainly intrigued with any technology, especially technology driven towards the rigorous requirements of space programs. Not saying I am going to try the tribotex but I am definitely going to read more on that subject and other things being developed through spinoff.nasa.org.