Tree Stump Pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, just video it and share. Tree stump pulls are always entertaining whether the ending is good or bad.

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! I've never seen a group of people so starved for a funny video of an idiot doing something stupid with a Raptor and a tree!! :)

I'm a little more reserved and tend to take things slowly and methodically. My wife constantly complains that I engineer things to death!

We'll no joy this morning. I worked on the stump for a couple of hours until I ran through all three battery packs I have for my Milwaukee SawZaw. We've dug a trench around the tree now about 8-12 inches deep. I've cut through several roots that we're in the 3-4 inch thick range and there are still several that need to be cut once a get the batteries charged back up. Here are some photos from this morning.

Stump Closeup.jpg

The long distance across this stump is about 23 inches and the short distance across is about 12 inches. The stump is about 22 inches high. Here is a shot with the Raptor to give a little perspective.

Stump And Raptor.jpg

And here is a shot with the strap set up.

Stump And Raptor with Strap.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the stump at the end of our efforts today. I'll try and remember to get a shot when I get there in the morning.

The process I'm using is to go slowly. I cut a few major roots and then tug on the stump to see if it moves. Then I cut a few more roots and tug again. I'm not flooring it or getting a large slack in the strap and taking off waiting for the jolt of the truck stopping in it's tracks!! I think I might have tried about 2 feet of slack, but with a slight acceleration. That way there is no strong jolt when I get stopped in my tracks. I'll continue this process tomorrow morning. Eventually the stump will start moving and I'll cut a few more roots and then I hope it will eventually fully release from the ground. When I think the stump might give, I'll take a video of it with my phone. But I don't have a YouTube account or anything to post the video. As a minimum, I will follow up with more photos tomorrow!

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Good luck man. Looks like you cut it too short to get any decent leverage. That looks like a real project.

I would just cut it flat and throw a little more rebar in the slab, call it a day.

Lupa

Reaction score
If ANY truck can pull out a stump, then it wasn't much of a stump. Even with a D5 it takes a good deal of effort to get a decent size stump out. An excavator is the right machine for popping out stumps. A 320 Cat will get it done, but if you're clearing land a 330 is what you want.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If ANY truck can pull out a stump, then it wasn't much of a stump. Even with a D5 it takes a good deal of effort to get a decent size stump out. An excavator is the right machine for popping out stumps. A 320 Cat will get it done, but if you're clearing land a 330 is what you want.
this guy has pulled a stump before

OP
OP
Gerald

Gerald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a pic last night. (I pretty live close)612402418f5cd629dfb7d6d1b9350b78.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

@melvimbe has been to the property!! There goes the neighborhood!! ;)

Well, we were at it again this morning with no luck what so ever. Man, I've removed a lot of roots and dirt and this stump isn't giving an inch! Here is a photo of one of the roots I cut out. I put it on top of the stump for reference.

Stump and Large Root.jpg

We've removed several roots similar in size and even one that was larger! We managed to get down I'd say 18 inches all the way around the stump. But still nothing.:banghead:

So I decided to throw in the towel. Our land is fairly low and here where the stump is we are having to raise the land by about 2 feet. So I'm going to rent a stump grinder tomorrow and grind it down to at least 6 inches below the surface. So there should be about 2.5 feet of Houston black clay covering the stump before the slab gets put in. Then like @GCATX recommended, I'll add some extra rebar in this area to be safe.

Sorry to disappoint everyone about not getting a great video of something going horribly wrong!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts