Transmission Temperature while Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
While trailering a fairly light (~1500lbs) load today at interstate speed I noticed that my transmission temperature climbed and held near the 3/4+ mark. It typically stays around the mid-point on the gauge during routine driving. I was a little shocked to see the temperature elevate with a light load. Should I be concerned with it overheating with a heaver load like a boat?

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the towing thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/the-towing-thread-unofficially.76912/.
I towed a couple of travel trailers last year (rentals) and didn't have any issues (except mileage cratering, but that's a different discussion). I think I only touched a few degrees over 200 going up I-09 across Snoqualmie pass, and while I wasn't thrashing it, I wasn't light-footing it either. My gauge stayed pretty centered. These guages aren't always linear (I think). You should use Forscan to enable the temp display in degrees as well as the bar-graph. What was the outside air temp, and did your coolant temp move similarly?

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a double axle trailer with a cycle and two 4 wheelers all the time up and down hills and have no noticeable change in tranny temp. I'm in Florida and temps have been in the 80s and 90s. Im usually running along at 65 and 70 on main highway not interstate. Loveing this truck almost 3 years now.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
Check out the towing thread: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/the-towing-thread-unofficially.76912/.
I towed a couple of travel trailers last year (rentals) and didn't have any issues (except mileage cratering, but that's a different discussion). I think I only touched a few degrees over 200 going up I-09 across Snoqualmie pass, and while I wasn't thrashing it, I wasn't light-footing it either. My gauge stayed pretty centered. These guages aren't always linear (I think). You should use Forscan to enable the temp display in degrees as well as the bar-graph. What was the outside air temp, and did your coolant temp move similarly?

Very hot and high humidity. Once I backed the speed down to 70 the temperature appeared to come down. I noticed this morning a couple drips of red fluid in the floor of my garage this morning.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Make absolutely sure that your radiator/condenser is clean, spray a hose directly into for several minutes to at least get the bugs out of it and any dirt build up, if your tranny overheats the fluid could catch fire.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, Ford has a T-stat for the transmission fluid now. It is designed to run at higher temperatures for improved fuel economy, fluid longevity, and shift performance.

On my old V10 Super Duty, I monitored my TFTs religiously with a ScanGauge. I would rarely see 175, which is considered to be cold by trans fluid standards.

I’d absolutely turn the actual numbers on with Forscan if I could as somebody else mentioned to keep a good eye on it.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While that is not a very heavy load, I'd suggesting locking out 10th and most likely 9th when towing. It will help keep the temps down and most notice an improvement in fuel economy. Some of the long larger grades you can downshift further. The 3.5 doesn't need to downshift, but it does help keep temps in check if you're seeing issues.

OP
OP
RaptorDawgMatt

RaptorDawgMatt

Reaction score
Today I was towing ~1500lb. trailer on the interstate. One a couple of occasions the truck need to downshift into 8th in order to maintain speed while climbing. This shift was much sharper than I would expect. The downshift from 10 to 9 was smooth and the remainder of the shifts were smooth but from 9 to 8 was brutal on a few occasions.

The truck is a 2017 with 37k miles.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Thanks.

Unfortunately I believe this thread and another thread I posted about transmission temperatures are related. Dealer called to inform me that the transmission was leaking and that based on some hard shifts that I reported that they will need to likely rebuild the transmission. I have owned the truck 4 weeks and it has sat in the shop 2 of the 4. Terrible experience so far.

Joey DeLorenzo

Reaction score
Unfortunately I believe this thread and another thread I posted about transmission temperatures are related. Dealer called to inform me that the transmission was leaking and that based on some hard shifts that I reported that they will need to likely rebuild the transmission. I have owned the truck 4 weeks and it has sat in the shop 2 of the 4. Terrible experience so far.

Is it a CPO at least and they are taking care of it?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you be able to see the digital tranny temp readout in the DIC?

mine will go up to 190-200 when towing in heat