Transmission slipping??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dkriplean

Reaction score
So I was going around a "roundabout" and after exiting it I floored the gas to get in front of another vehicle. Instead of going faster the engine rpm's rose quickly to around 5k but it seemed as if the transmission had kicked out of gear, similar to missing a gear on a manual transmission. I let off the gas and the truck continued to roll. After approximately 30 ft I feathered the gas and the transmission began working normally. The rest of my ride home I tried to get it to duplicate the problem to no avail. No codes. No nothing. The transmission temp was consistent at approximately 195.

I searched for this problem in prior threads but did not see anything similar. I have 9000 miles on the truck and use premium unleaded (to save those questions). Any ideas? I hate to take it to the dealer unless I know there is a code for them to pull.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
were you in normal mode and exiting the roundabout in a “way higher gear” than optimal? if you had enough speed for ‘normal’ to jam you into any of the OD gears 8-10, the downshift to lower gears takes a painfully long time.

My truck tries first to boost around this throttle input, and then reluctantly tries to downshift after and the whole process takes too long. Sport mode keeps this from happening. I’ve also put a pedal commander on, that brings the boost in sooner and downshifts earlier in the throttle movement. This helps keep normal mode in check.

I try to “default” to sport mode now, but once in a while I don’t like to mess with the buttons, on an exit for example, if I’m going over 30, I’m getting 8th or 9th gear. That sucks for gassing it off an exit to get in front of the horde of hypermiling priussies - so last time I used the paddle shifters to lock out 5-10 on the exit, and then just unlocked them once I was on my way.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen twice. Once before tune and one after. I will search for the thread, sorry traveling right now. But after following suggestions from members here - battery disconnect / KAM reset I have been perfect! I've tried to make it happen both times I was getting on it around a corner and same feeling you are describing. Following the whole reset procedure and it's been good for 2k miles.

OP
OP
dkriplean

dkriplean

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen twice. Once before tune and one after. I will search for the thread, sorry traveling right now. But after following suggestions from members here - battery disconnect / KAM reset I have been perfect! I've tried to make it happen both times I was getting on it around a corner and same feeling you are describing. Following the whole reset procedure and it's been good for 2k miles.

Thanks. I will give that a shot

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hi-jack but what is a KAM reset and how is it performed? Is that what the battery disconnect accomplishes? I'm expecting delivery of a 2018 hopefully before the end of the year and this could be useful info if I experience a similar issue.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the thread hi-jack but what is a KAM reset and how is it performed? Is that what the battery disconnect accomplishes? I'm expecting delivery of a 2018 hopefully before the end of the year and this could be useful info if I experience a similar issue.

Raptor has a "smart" transmission that adjusts to the driver's driving style. There is a reset process puts the transmission back to default settings that has helped some people who have complained about shifting problems. I've never done it, but I believe it involves disconnecting the battery and a few other steps.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor has a "smart" transmission that adjusts to the driver's driving style. There is a reset process puts the transmission back to default settings that has helped some people who have complained about shifting problems. I've never done it, but I believe it involves disconnecting the battery and a few other steps.

I've done it, and it did seem to correct some strange shifting issues. Unfortunately though, it seems to have "learned" it's way back to the same state after another 1000 miles or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King of cars

Reaction score
I have 3000 miles on mine and have had some issues. Towing my boat two weeks ago and started to drive and had nothing just rpms reving up in second gear and 3 gear. Pulled over put in Park waited and drove off and had some bizzare noises for past week from below the vehicle and this week now some extreme grinding on the Hwy and massive clunks once it grabs. As I feather the gas at 70 mpi I had this extreme grinding and slipping then clunks and shakes the truck. Kept it in cruise for 1.5 hours at 70 mph and got home safe. Now in low gears I get clunky noises. Ever since that tow and slipping two weeks ago shit has started to go bad fast. Goes in monday to ford. Hope they don't pull some shit about the mods and big ass wheels.

CFIT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3000 miles on mine and have had some issues. Towing my boat two weeks ago and started to drive and had nothing just rpms reving up in second gear and 3 gear. Pulled over put in Park waited and drove off and had some bizzare noises for past week from below the vehicle and this week now some extreme grinding on the Hwy and massive clunks once it grabs. As I feather the gas at 70 mpi I had this extreme grinding and slipping then clunks and shakes the truck. Kept it in cruise for 1.5 hours at 70 mph and got home safe. Now in low gears I get clunky noises. Ever since that tow and slipping two weeks ago shit has started to go bad fast. Goes in monday to ford. Hope they don't pull some shit about the mods and big ass wheels.

I'd think they'd have a hard time blaming your wheels, but what other mods do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk