Transmission problem in 10R80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,,
I just joined this forum and would like to address some issues i am continuing suffering from in 10R80.
I have 2018 ford raptor purchased on Feb.2019 , now it almost on year and 4 months.
I loved the car ,style, power, outstanding look , acceleration, off road all this were the reasons behind buying this monster.
I am in saudi arabia and having many great areas to test and drive through, red sand ,hills , mountains ,great highway as well.
After 1000 mile i noticed grinding sound on driver side , noisy , it seems you are pulling steels on the ground.
Took it to dealer stay 3 days cant figured out, then i put a camera and record so i got the sound source , take it back to them with video and IWE valve hose of accouter changed and fixed
After almost 12000 miles there was a hard and harsh sound on trany, shifting down is too hard and noisy , slipping gears , form park to reverse will make a really bad noise same form neutral to drive.
Take it to dealer and stay 2 months because ordering valve body from USA.
Then i got it but the issue still remained, week after i take it back to the dealer they pull down the trany for inspection stay again almost a month , they changed JL3Z-7A100 C , when i got my car is totally different not in good but unfortunately bad in performance ,acceleration, shifting so quick not like when still new at all or what i was expecting from raptor.
3 months in 2020 car fully hospitalized in dealer.
I really love raptor but this repeating issues It seems to think trading the car before the value go more and more down.
Because from what i read and all addressed complaints about transmission along with my experience.
I posted this as an advise from what i had with raptor and would like to say : this is not what we expect from ford compared to the cost.
10R80 issues now 3 years people suffering from it and model after model with no radical solution....

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a lemon transmission and/or your dealer is not capable of performing diagnosis and repair properly. Most of us don’t have any issues with the 10-speed transmission. It’s proven to be pretty solid so far.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I think the dealer is unfamiliar with the truck. Maybe try a transmission tune like Cobb. I have been really happy with its performance.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Agree with guys we have here bad dealer, and it is only one, no other choice even the parts most need to request from USA.
I have already COBB , also MPT tunes ,both not work in proper way after the issue in transmission so i return to stock file in order to avoid voiding warranty by dealer.
Maybe it just my luck with this car, but as i checked it well known issue on youtube and other forum from many.
That is why i got disappointed...
As Of now it is third time in dealer i will see after They give other try it will be fixed or going with decision to trade.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree with guys we have here bad dealer, and it is only one, no other choice even the parts most need to request from USA.
I have already COBB , also MPT tunes ,both not work in proper way after the issue in transmission so i return to stock file in order to avoid voiding warranty by dealer.
Maybe it just my luck with this car, but as i checked it well known issue on youtube and other forum from many.
That is why i got disappointed...
As Of now it is third time in dealer i will see after They give other try it will be fixed or going with decision to trade.

If you google/YouTube any problem you will find someone complaining. Nobody makes a video or post to show you that something is working as expected.

You are being very dramatic with your statement of “model after model of people suffering”; that is very misleading and inaccurate. Ford has released bulletins on documented issues, including a software update that applies to 2018’s within a certain build date range. The concerns you are describing are not normal transmission operation and can be resolved with a proper diagnosis.

Base part 7A100 is the valve body. If the dealer replaced that component and the issue is still not resolved, you need to bring it back in. It may need the software update, or it may have a separate internal issue aside from the valve body that needs to be properly diagnosed. When a valve sticks in a valve body, it can result in internal clutch damage depending on which component it controls.

Dealers in Saudi Arabia have access to the Global Technical Assistance Center which is based here in the USA. If they tell you they can’t figure it out, I’d recommend asking if they’re been in contact with Ford directly. There is no reason you should have to drive a truck that is clearly not operating properly.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
You agreed that there were issues dear, for that ford release bulletins on documented issues,
Me as other owners concern about the car and how it operate specially brand new, no one expect that his car will be in love with dealer to visit and stay more than three months in there.
I am not dramatic guy, but you may refer to many similar having same issues in 2017 , 2018 , and 2019 as well.
You may read about Pennsylvania case which is wildly known and many similar reported.
I believed dealer’s tech. Skills is not my concern , the fail still i call it fail.
I am here giving a live sample and i am sure many have it and will have in short period, we need to encourage each other to address the issues regardless today is about ford raptor, this will help other to knew and evaluate before take the same wrong decision.
100% agree there is no alternative or capable can compared to raptor but in other hands some who still on land can wait instead of having the same.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
You agreed that there were issues dear, for that ford release bulletins on documented issues,
Me as other owners concern about the car and how it operate specially brand new, no one expect that his car will be in love with dealer to visit and stay more than three months in there.
I am not dramatic guy, but you may refer to many similar having same issues in 2017 , 2018 , and 2019 as well.
You may read about Pennsylvania case which is wildly known and many similar reported.
I believed dealer’s tech. Skills is not my concern , the fail still i call it fail.
I am here giving a live sample and i am sure many have it and will have in short period, we need to encourage each other to address the issues regardless today is about ford raptor, this will help other to knew and evaluate before take the same wrong decision.
100% agree there is no alternative or capable can compared to raptor but in other hands some who still on land can wait instead of having the same.

I agree, 3 months at the dealer is definitely not a good experience! However, it seems that your case may be somewhat unique in that regard since the valve body had to ship from the US to Saudi Arabia. If the part was already on backorder, the shipping distance would have only contributed to additional time down.

There are literally millions of 10Rs on the road in F-150s, Expeditions, Navigators, Transits, Explorers, Aviators, and Mustangs as well as GM products, but you’re only going to hear about the small percentage that have an issue. The majority of service bulletins involve nothing more than software updates, which takes only a few minutes to complete.

It appears the dealer identified an issue with the valve body in your truck, hence the replacement. As I mentioned earlier, a valve body issue left uncorrected can result in wear to internal transmission components. This issue could have further been exacerbated by your tune (HP/TQ increase), which puts additional stress on the transmission components.

Are you planning to bring it back to the dealer?