Transmission issues…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I have read of a few 10 spd transmission failures on here that could be traced back to having the system flushed out, for no good reason other than all new fluid at 40k miles must be better. I think those guys still come around and say the tranny sh-it the bed though, without mentioning that little caveat.

Drive it and forget it.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have read of a few 10 spd transmission failures on here that could be traced back to having the system flushed out, for no good reason other than all new fluid at 40k miles must be better. I think those guys still come around and say the tranny sh-it the bed though, without mentioning that little caveat.

Drive it and forget it.
My dealer when doing the phasers recommended it....I said Ford recommends 150k between changes and I am at 44k, I'll skip it....and all I could think was they should be ashamed on themselves suckering the unknowing.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably happens if you Power Brake and Launch at every Traffic Light all day...it is a Truck transmission not a PDK
Torque converter autos are usually much more capable at handling launches. PDK shift speed is great, but modern planetary ZF derivatives shift very quickly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Torque converter autos are usually much more capable at handling launches. PDK shift speed is great, but modern planetary ZF derivatives shift very quickly.
Yep. Although the 10R/10L is not a ZF derivative, it has the capability of shifting faster than a DCT. I’m guessing the ZF units are similar.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2017 Raptor I traded in with 35k hard tuned miles and 0 transmission issues.

My 2019 went 58k hard tuned miles when I traded it in and guess what 0 transmission issues.

I have 6500 miles on my 22 and so far 0 issues.

The R has an even more built transmission so not sure there will be a problem. I heard in testing they kept blowing apart the front diff but the transmission held up.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I have 75k miles on my 2018 while tuned to run 12.6@108 with zero transmission or any other problems either… Just sayin’.

Edit: I might even service the trans and diffs sometime around 100k!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So now I have a small hiccup feeling going into 8th and 5th now; started out with just a hiccup in 5th.

133,500 miles. Time for a flush or not?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So now I have a small hiccup feeling going into 8th and 5th now; started out with just a hiccup in 5th.

If you have Forscan, try resetting the tranny shift learning. My 18 would pick up my bad habits after a while.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Transmissions should not be flushed; just drain, replace filter, and refill. The maximum service interval is 150k, which is under ideal conditions. Definitely would be a good idea to have the fluid and filter changed with the mileage you have.