Transmission Issue - Raptor at Ford Dealer Service Department

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
stealth

stealth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this fix the issue? Have you heard the grinding/rattling noise since?

Sorry I haven't checked the forum in a while. Yes, the grinding noise went away. However, I've recently started hearing a slight and subtle whirling noise at acceleration. I'm planning to bring it to the dealer sometime soon for what I hope is something relatively minor.

OP
OP
stealth

stealth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the "squawking" issue. Is it a major transmission issue with the raptor?

It's the grinding noises you hear while accelerating and shifting in different gears. In my case they confirmed grinding noises on 5-3 and 6-4 downshift - and also grinding noises on the 3-4, 4-5 upshift.

Of course they initially tried quicker and easier fixes along the way until they eventually concluded the transmission must come out. It ended up requiring a transmission overhaul and many components were replaced.

hawksphan

Reaction score
I just had my 2014 at the dealer to get this 5-3 downshift noise fixed. When I dropped it off I old had 2 weeks of my 5 year powertrain warranty remaining. My service advisor laughed when I said this. I took him for a ride around the block when dropping the truck off to replicate the noise, to make sure he could hear it. I got my loaner Lincoln MKZ and was on my way.

My dealer only has one transmission tech, so diagnostic took a couple days. The tech determined the transmission needed an overhaul and I was told everything should be covered under warranty. Total repair took 1.5 weeks. My 3 page receipt has an entire page of part numbers that were replaced including clutches, steels, 2 solenoids, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc. Everything was flushed out because there was a lot of clutch material in my fluid according to the tech's notes. The tech replaced everything that showed any kind of damage.

Everything was covered under warranty and I paid nothing.

That noise has gone away and everything is much smoother. I can barely feel any of the shifts now. I'm happy the noise went away,and that everything was covered on the final days of my powertrain warranty.

OP
OP
stealth

stealth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer only has one transmission tech, so diagnostic took a couple days. The tech determined the transmission needed an overhaul and I was told everything should be covered under warranty. Total repair took 1.5 weeks. My 3 page receipt has an entire page of part numbers that were replaced including clutches, steels, 2 solenoids, gaskets, nuts/bolts, etc. Everything was flushed out because there was a lot of clutch material in my fluid according to the tech's notes. The tech replaced everything that showed any kind of damage.

That sounds a lot like my experience all the way down to the clutch material found details. Except the transmission tech at my dealership was even busier and there was a several week wait before he could even start repairing mine.

I'm glad to hear that everything was fixed with yours and that the noise is gone. I can relate to how frustrating it is to have a 60-70K vehicle only to hear those terrible grinding noises.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have about 19k on mine and 6th to 5th is hesitant at times and aggressive in manner, like it accidentally slipped into it. ALSO, putting the vehicle into drive; it doesnt engage right away, takes about 2 seconds and it lunges forward a little.

Don.

hawksphan

Reaction score
I have about 19k on mine and 6th to 5th is hesitant at times and aggressive in manner, like it accidentally slipped into it. ALSO, putting the vehicle into drive; it doesnt engage right away, takes about 2 seconds and it lunges forward a little.

Don.

I never had an issues with the 6th to 5th shift; however, I did have a slight delay when engaging Drive. I do not think my delay was 2 seconds, but it was a noticeable amount and then the truck would lunge forward a little if I was not firmly on the brake pedal.

After the repairs, Drive seems to engage instantly and without any noticeable feeling.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I should take mine in before I become stranded somewhere in southeast Wash DC without my conceal... lol.