GEN 2 Transmission in gear - won't move

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 SCAB and could not get the truck to move when in any gear. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Curious if this has happened to anyone or if there is something related to the tailgate?
Sequence of events:

Unlock truck via fob
Open tailgate via trunk release on tailgate
Load bed
Close tailgate (I can't remember if the tailgate was closed or left open the 1st time this happened)
Get in truck
Turn on ignition
Start truck
Shift into reverse or drive
Press the throttle and the engine revs but the transmission is not engaged.
Shift gears, change 4x4 settings, turn off/restart truck. Open drivers door with engine off to simulate entry/exit. Restart truck, issue persists.
Turn off truck
Get out, open tailgate via trunk release on tailgate
Close tailgate
Get in truck
Turn on ignition
Start truck
Goes into gear and works fine.

Is this related to the tailgate in anyway? Because both times it just happened to start working again after I relatched the tailgate.
I doubt the dealer could do anything since it has only happened 2x in 3 yrs.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
How fast are you putting it into gear? Right after the start or a few seconds later.

The transmission is a big pump that runs off pressure. Flywheel turns the torque converter which turns the transmission front pump. This pumps fluid through pathways and valves based on a number of things. If you are trying to shift from park before the transmission has enough line pressure, it will not work correctly. Give it a few seconds 3-5 before shifting.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have heard of this happening intermittently . Its the transmission module losing communication or Something like that and will reset itself. It will also happen if you load a new tune and don't wait 30 seconds before restarting. I take it you don't have a tune so its stock .

Granelli

Reaction score
This happened to me a few times. Has not happened in many months but it sure is strange. I've had it happen in the winter (snow) and on fairly warm summer days in the low 80's. It's like every gear is neutral. It seems to reset with a little time.

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just happened to me yesterday at car wash . My 2019 . Truck started and moved 2 times by carwash people . 3rd time to drive into wash truck would not move . Not sure if kid did something, i was watching whole time , he kept turning off and restarting like 4 times . I went over told him to get out. i got in started it Display said transmission not in park . I shut it off opened door for about 1 min . Closed door Restarted and it was fine . I scanned for codes, no codes or stored codes. I think TCM lost communication and , kid kept restarting and not letting it reset . Who the F knows , no issues since .

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had this happen 4 times over the past three years. Usually on warm days. Turning it off, opening the door, and waiting will the computer shuts off before turning it on again fixes it. Very weird.