GEN 1 Transmission flushing procedure for DIY guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lovinfordlife

Reaction score
Been reading alot about this but just wanted the pro's from the Raptor community to chime in. Is it also true fluid doesn't flow to the cooler until 185?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct. inside the transmission is a valve that keeps the fluid in the trans until it heats up. once at operating temp the valve opens and allows the fluid to circulate through the entire system. i was having trans problems for a couple years and one of the steps was to bypass the valve so fluid was always flowing. not ideal in cold weather areas though. but according to your thread title, a trans flush is not a good idea, unless you are getting a new trans and want to clear out the lines. drop the pan and replace fluid that way. thats what i have been told

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As long as you have dropped the pan you might consider replacing it with an aftermarket pan that has a for real actual physical drain plug. The mess that results from draining the transmission by carefully loosening the pan bolts is worthy of many unpleasant cuss words that may get you arrested, divorced, or excommunicated depending upon your situation. (A word to the wise. We do what we can to keep FRF members out of the courtroom.)

And BTW, the refill process is involved. There is a cold check and a hot check, and both are done with the engine running. If you have a GEN1, the close proximity of the nearly microscopic dipstick (more like a diptoothpick) to the exhaust guarantees that you will burn your hand. The last time I did it I used a glove with five layers of duct tape wrapped around the knuckles, and I still burned my hand.

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, the flush isn't necessary if you're doing it as preventative (so not likely to have debris in the cooler & lines), and the stock dipstick is redonkulous. I dropped the pan and replaced fluid & filter shortly after I got mine, at 155k miles, and at the same time added Performance Automatics dipstick along with DL3Z-7A095-B saudi cooler. I have written down for next service at 200k to replace lead frame (if I can find one, also as preventative), use a LubeLocker gasket, and to pull the cooler line to drain a little more fluid than just what was in the pan the way I did last time. But IMO I won't flush it and will continue to DIY every 50k...

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the trans flushed at 65k miles, it used 16 qts of fluid. I personally did the drop the pan and replaced the filter at 161k miles, this procedure only allows you to replace about 8 qts max. My understanding is the torque converter plus trans hold about 13 qts total. As you can see there are compromises to either procedure.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One my last truck I added the B&M pan and would jsut drain the pan and refill every couple of oil changes. You don't get it all, but you really don't need to if you do it often enough.