GEN 1 Transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeDoc

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a better performing automatic transmission fluid than the Motorcraft MerconLV ? I recently upgrade with a bigger transmission intercooler from Forged Offroad. I do tow Moomba Boats 7000lbs on long distance; Up/Down Hill and gauge temperature goes up to >105° C (221° F) so I slow down... My oil has blackened. On the opposite during the winter around the 10th of february ambient temperature as down as -58° F (-50° C)

Last edited:

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that maybe 105° Celsius? Makes more sense, the transmission thermostat doesn't open until 175° F, and from everything I've read 215° F is pretty much operating temperature (so like 102°C, under load 105°C probably fine).

I don't ever really tow so can't really say if that's too heavy or anything, but if it was mine I'd either stick with LV and shorten the fluid/filter change interval to like every 40-60k miles (64k-97k km) or you could try an Amsoil...

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You really need to stick with the type of transmission fluid specified by the automotive engineers who designed the transmission. Stick with synthetic Mercon LV, and change filter and fluid more frequently.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
105C = 221F. While that's getting a little warm, I don't think that's concerning as long as it doesn't keep climbing. My understanding is that the 240 range is the danger zone and you'll see your gauge leap up to yellow.

As a side note, you can install an oversized tranny pan - that's what I did. Then you can also put in your own sensor too. I went with the AFE in addition to the oversized tranny cooler. I tow an RV up the Colorado mountains.

OP
OP
LeDoc

LeDoc

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AT 6R80 mileage 62K Transmission cooler from ForgedOffroad very satisfied. I decide to go with Amsoil Ttransmission flush 16oz and change with Amsoil Signature series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF 13,1Qt a bit more performance viscosity at extreme weather see their Typical Technical Properties and compare with MerconLV.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
105C = 221F. While that's getting a little warm, I don't think that's concerning as long as it doesn't keep climbing. My understanding is that the 240 range is the danger zone and you'll see your gauge leap up to yellow.

As a side note, you can install an oversized tranny pan - that's what I did. Then you can also put in your own sensor too. I went with the AFE in addition to the oversized tranny cooler. I tow an RV up the Colorado mountains.

Yup. Over 240 is risking frying something. Couple years back a handful of Raptors went trail riding and 1 forgot to check the trans temp before it got too hot.

IIRC he saw it at 247F and by the time he thought to check it he fried some sensors in the trans and was limited to 1-2-3.

I did the same route on the first raptor with a bigger pan. 4 wheel low, going through soft sand the highest I saw it hit was 221.