Transmission Crashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sometime after a tow truck company gets it to the dealer, which is turning into an all day ordeal. :rolleyes:

FWIW I was looking around on this last night and this exact issue has a TSB for the 2018 Mustang with the 10 speed - apparently it's typically a worn/damaged clutch presenting as these codes in that case: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/post-2336328

I also found one other guy talking about having this issue in an F150 forum with an H/O 3.5L non-raptor, with only 7k miles on a new truck.
Well, hopefully it's a quick fix for you and you can enjoy that Raptor again.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yeah, at least now you have DTC’s to make the tech’s life simpler and that hopefully cuts down the diagnosis and fix time. Good luck with the repair.

Reaction score
For those that do not know, this 10 speed transmission was developed by a joint effort by Ford and Chevy. It’s been a nightmare in pretty much all the vehicles they have used it in on the Chevy side including a class action lawsuit by several states… Very similar shifting and vibration issues and there is no permanent fix and no admitting there is a problem either…

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those that do not know, this 10 speed transmission was developed by a joint effort by Ford and Chevy. It’s been a nightmare in pretty much all the vehicles they have used it in on the Chevy side including a class action lawsuit by several states… Very similar shifting and vibration issues and there is no permanent fix and no admitting there is a problem either…
The 10 speed has not been a “nightmare”; its been installed in millions of vehicles yet you’re focusing on the small percentage that have an issue. The 10R is not designed any different than any other automatic transmission. The class action lawsuits were dismissed because they had no merit.

There is no “problem” to admit to, if the transmission exhibits an issue or DTCs are set, it needs to be repaired. Stop spreading conspiracy theories.

Reaction score
The 10 speed has not been a “nightmare”; its been installed in millions of vehicles yet you’re focusing on the small percentage that have an issue. The 10R is not designed any different than any other automatic transmission. The class action lawsuits were dismissed because they had no merit.

There is no “problem” to admit to, if the transmission exhibits an issue or DTCs are set, it needs to be repaired. Stop spreading conspiracy theories.
Ok, go do a search on the Chevy forums ranging from the trucks to the corvettes and camaro. It’s more than conspiracy theories… I have seen posts where the transmissions were initially being replaced under warranty, but they quit doing that when the same problem resurfaced as soon as 10,000 miles later in the new transmission in one owners truck. I will absolutely avoid buying any vehicle with that transmission. Chevy has already abandoned it for a different one. I am not trying to start an argument, just relaying information that is relevant to this subject.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, go do a search on the Chevy forums ranging from the trucks to the corvettes and camaro. It’s more than conspiracy theories… I have seen posts where the transmissions were initially being replaced under warranty, but they quit doing that when the same problem resurfaced as soon as 10,000 miles later in the new transmission in one owners truck. I will absolutely avoid buying any vehicle with that transmission. Chevy has already abandoned it for a different one. I am not trying to start an argument, just relaying information that is relevant to this subject.
First off, Corvettes do not use the 10R. They use an 8 Speed dual clutch transaxle. Second off, forum and social media posts are entirely subjective and anecdotal. Unless you're a technician with first hand experience, you're just spreading second hand complaints. On the internet, people will complain about anything and everything. When millions of a complex mechanical/hydraulic/electronic component are produced, there is always going to be a certain percentage (typically less than 0.1%) of failures. That doesn't mean it's a bad design or that every one is defective. That's a ridiculous assertion to make.

You keep saying "chevy", but the company is GM. And GM is not "abandoning" the 10R (10L in their applications). The 10L is being used in the 2021+ Camaro, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Silverado, Escalade, and Sierra. On the Ford side 10R is being used in all F-150s now as well as 2019+ Ranger, 2020+ Explorer & Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, and Bronco.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, Corvettes do not use the 10R. They use an 8 Speed dual clutch transaxle. Second off, forum and social media posts are entirely subjective and anecdotal. Unless you're a technician with first hand experience, you're just spreading second hand complaints. On the internet, people will complain about anything and everything. When millions of a complex mechanical/hydraulic/electronic component are produced, there is always going to be a certain percentage (typically less than 0.1%) of failures. That doesn't mean it's a bad design or that every one is defective. That's a ridiculous assertion to make.

You keep saying "chevy", but the company is GM. And GM is not "abandoning" the 10R (10L in their applications). The 10L is being used in the 2021+ Camaro, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Yukon XL, Silverado, Escalade, and Sierra. On the Ford side 10R is being used in all F-150s now as well as 2019+ Ranger, 2020+ Explorer & Aviator, Expedition, Navigator, and Bronco.
Yes, but other than those models, they are not using it at all!! :smoke2:

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I will retract my statement about the 10 speed. I went back and looked and it was the 8 speed that I was referring to, memory issues
If you go onto pretty much any forum and do a search on "dual-clutch" you will find a lot of problems noted. There are only a few OEMs who have gotten it even close to "good". I think it's VW and Porsche that have the best programming, but if you read up on them, you will find problems as well. The Ford Fiesta, I think it was the base model, but not the ST version, had a dual-clutch trans that was/is the subject of MANY failures and problems. LOL And as @FordTechOne mentioned earlier, I don't have experience with any of the dual-clutch transmissions, so I'm spreading "second hand complaints! Ha Ha! Sorry FordTechOne!

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you go onto pretty much any forum and do a search on "dual-clutch" you will find a lot of problems noted. There are only a few OEMs who have gotten it even close to "good". I think it's VW and Porsche that have the best programming, but if you read up on them, you will find problems as well. The Ford Fiesta, I think it was the base model, but not the ST version, had a dual-clutch trans that was/is the subject of MANY failures and problems. LOL And as @FordTechOne mentioned earlier, I don't have experience with any of the dual-clutch transmissions, so I'm spreading "second hand complaints! Ha Ha! Sorry FordTechOne!
My Honda DCT is pretty good.