Transmission Crashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
My Honda DCT is pretty good.
That may be, but I don't count Honduh as even existing. Not that they don't build good products, but Honda USA, Japan, and their dealers made some serious business ethics moves way back in the 70s when their Civic and Accords were the most popular cars available. I made a pact with myself right then to forget about the Honduh car company and never look at them again. I've just given Honda motorcycles another look and in 2019 bought a still-new-in-the-crate leftover 2015 CBR Repsol SP, the last one with fully manual controls.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That may be, but I don't count Honduh as even existing. Not that they don't build good products, but Honda USA, Japan, and their dealers made some serious business ethics moves way back in the 70s when their Civic and Accords were the most popular cars available. I made a pact with myself right then to forget about the Honduh car company and never look at them again. I've just given Honda motorcycles another look and in 2019 bought a still-new-in-the-crate leftover 2015 CBR Repsol SP, the last one with fully manual controls.
I was making a joke. It is a motorcycle. Africa Twin DCT. I’m sure it’s much easier to get right in a 500 lb motorcycle than a 2-ton car.

OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Still at the shop. They tried just changing the valve body but as expected based on that Mustang SSM that didn't do it and they've moved onto replacing clutch B. Have seen rumblings about backordered parts for these transmissions however, some guy said he waited two months for a complete unit. Won't have an ETA until tomorrow - fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a weeks long thing. @FordTechOne - any insight into whether or not those parts are unobtanium right now?

Edit: FWIW, if the parts kit listed in that 10R80 SSM is accurate, ford claims it's in stock: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/powertrain-engine-parts/bracket-6514641-1

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Still at the shop. They tried just changing the valve body but as expected based on that Mustang SSM that didn't do it and they've moved onto replacing clutch B. Have seen rumblings about backordered parts for these transmissions however, some guy said he waited two months for a complete unit. Won't have an ETA until tomorrow - fingers crossed this doesn't turn into a weeks long thing. @FordTechOne - any insight into whether or not those parts are unobtanium right now?

Edit: FWIW, if the parts kit listed in that 10R80 SSM is accurate, ford claims it's in stock: https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/powertrain-engine-parts/bracket-6514641-1
I don’t have access to parts availability, but hopefully parts.ford.com is accurate and they’re not backordered.

OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Backordered, big yikes, hopefully an actual ETA tomorrow.

Dealership at least got me into an Escape Platinum after initially only having an Ecosport available - the dealer staff have been great but buy they're slammed to their eyeballs with deferred-COVID work and not much they can do about Ford or the Dealers approach to these things. However, if this turns into an ordeal it is going to start impacting some plans I had. Doesn't seem like they've got a ready supply of four door off-road capable pickups on the rental lot and it's sort of hard to replace a Raptor with a grocery getter when it comes to outdoor activites.

If you've got a Raptor or any Ford for that matter with burgeoning transmission issues I would strongly encourage you to keep your foot out of it for the next 6 months

Last edited:

Bumpngrind

Reaction score
Just posted my issues that really mirror what u experienced. Mine did the exact same things, it finally just stuck in 5 th gear for me to limp it to dealer 2017 80000 miles

OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Just posted my issues that really mirror what u experienced. Mine did the exact same things, it finally just stuck in 5 th gear for me to limp it to dealer 2017 80000 miles

Got word yesterday that there's one part they can't get their hands on. May have found one at another dealer but called 2x today and didn't hear back, so who knows how that's going. If they can't source it from another dealer Ford's ETA for the part is September. So hopefully not because you're in for a treat.

If the dealer can't find one going to have to pull out the Karen wig and start pinging Ford - 6+ weeks for a transmission part is nuts - at that point swap the whole damn unit out. That's assuming that September 1st is a real date even and not just them punting. I see Gen 3's coming off the line with new 10R80s, so let's get it going boys. While we're at it, seems like anyone spending $85k for a fully specced Gen 3 ought to be aware of the serviceability of that investment if the transmission takes a dump on them - or get ready to make some bank on a Lemon suit. Meanwhile I'm rocking an Escape and several plans are going to be cancelled or reduced as a result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
So what was the final prognosis and a final fix
Exactly what was in that 2018 Mustang TSB for the 10R80 that I sent them. Clutch B was vaporized.

Luckily sounds like they were able to source the back ordered parts so it should be back together early next week. Hopefully their transmission guy is good as these things are fickle.

Edit: For posterity, if anyone comes across this thread and experiences these symptoms it's likely the same issue thats in this Mustang SSM https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/post-2336328

Last edited: