Transmission Crashing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ORTrux

Reaction score
19 w/ ~33k. Accelerating from a stop, 4 times in the past few weeks now, totally at random, the transmission does some catastrophic stuff just after leaving the line. The truck violently slams forward like you just hit an 8” concrete curb, loses power completely for 3-4 seconds, goes into neutral, violently slams again, and then begins to accelerate normally. This is violent enough that I had a passenger in the truck that thought we’d been rear ended. First time I did it was launching in Sport and I thought I’d dropped the driveshaft into the asphalt. It has happened in Normal during gentle acceleration as well.

Obviously something is seriously wrong, if it continues to be more frequent the truck won’t be driveable - I’m assuming a clutch is sticking and it’s trying to engage two gears at once or something. Goes in next week to have it looked at but wondering if anyone else has experienced this so I can go into the dealer with a little more ammo.

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been trolling this site for a while and never heard of that one before. Hopefully the dealer can properly diagnose and fix the issue. Is the truck throwing any codes? Perhaps @FordTechOne could provide some additional insight?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It may have DTCs set in the TCM; hard to know what may be going on without having those first.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pulled codes using Forscan and no DTCs present in TCM or TCCM
Strange. Anything aftermarket? It’s possible that the TCM is losing power/receiving low voltage momentarily and causing an issue. Otherwise I’d suspect a main control issue such as a sticking valve.

OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Nothing aftermarket. It feels very mechanical - it only happens leaving 1st gear - to your point the only thing that makes sense to me is that the transmission is locking up mechanically and going into neutral to protect itself (after shaking your teeth out). Only way I can see that happen is if it’s trying to engage two ratios at once, IE valve or clutch not releasing properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Well that was fast. Third gear completely died, truck won’t go past second without slamming in and out of gear. Luckily wasn’t far from home and limped it back in M2. Finally threw DCTs - @FordTechOne called it: solenoid B stuck, and clutch B performance - p0757 / p2701. Calling for a dealer tow in the morning.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that was fast. Third gear completely died, truck won’t go past second without slamming in and out of gear. Luckily wasn’t far from home and limped it back in M2. Finally threw DCTs - @FordTechOne called it: solenoid B stuck, and clutch B performance - p0757 / p2701. Calling for a dealer tow in the morning.
Glad it set a code; should make diagnosis much faster and more straightforward. Most likely a valve is sticking in the main control, which can be serviced by removing the trans pan.

OP
OP
O

ORTrux

Reaction score
Any idea when they are going to tear into it ?
Sometime after a tow truck company gets it to the dealer, which is turning into an all day ordeal. :rolleyes:

FWIW I was looking around on this last night and this exact issue has a TSB for the 2018 Mustang with the 10 speed - apparently it's typically a worn/damaged clutch presenting as these codes in that case: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-10r80-a10-most-recent-tsb’s-in-here.102918/post-2336328

I also found one other guy talking about having this issue in an F150 forum with an H/O 3.5L non-raptor, with only 7k miles on a new truck.