Transmission coolers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iHaveGas

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I looked high and low in FRF for reviews for transmission coolers and really haven't found much. Now that I'm watching my transmission temp while off roading I find it very easy to go over 220 and a few time watched it go over 240... Oops! I'm wanting to know what transmission coolers you all have and how they worked out for you the pros and cons, Outlaw, SDHQ, ADD, custom or any others I left out. Any other great tips to keep that hot transmission cool are more then welcome.

zebt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Outlaw one as i like the way it mounts right behind the front grill. I receive it on Friday hopefully, will keep you posted on how the install goes.

tbone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im also interested does anyone else have any experience with this? has anyone accually had their tranny fail on them?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have spent quite a bit of time in at the ranch in ugly desert 110 conditions ruinning with the AC on full.

Would suggest the larger by 3 qt's finned tranny pan and also switch to Amsoil fluid. I did and my tranny has never seen over 215 except once when I was running at high speed in 105 temps testing out the top end and high speed manners of the truck.

The combination of these two things will lower the high temps in extreme conditions and also help with the shifting--in mine there was a difference.

My .02 FWIW

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could see having one. I may or may not have been doing doughnuts at Little Sahara and my truck put itself in limp mode due to trans temp.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup I'm with has I have the tranny pan from SDHQ it's amazing how cooler my temps are! And the added fluid helps keep the transmission running smooth I just flushed my trans about a month ago and put amsoil in it as well! This might be a quick and cheaper fix for high temps just a thought

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have looked at everyone made, researched these and came up with my own. I am still coming up with a bracket and should be a total of less than 500 or close to it anyways. These companies charging 1000 for knowing what fittings to use and making a bracket I find ridiculous and will let everyone in on what you need and what it takes to get this done... Will hopefully have a detailed parts list by the end of next week..
Once I get the bracket the way I want I will provide a order cost for it, will still be less than 500 total with a forced air cooler....

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have looked at everyone made, researched these and came up with my own. I am still coming up with a bracket and should be a total of less than 500 or close to it anyways. These companies charging 1000 for knowing what fittings to use and making a bracket I find ridiculous and will let everyone in on what you need and what it takes to get this done... Will hopefully have a detailed parts list by the end of next week..
Once I get the bracket the way I want I will provide a order cost for it, will still be less than 500 total with a forced air cooler....

PLease do! I'd be very interested in building one myself for half the price.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the SDHQ Trans pan but just haven't put it on yet. I bought a new Trans gasket from the dealer. I didn't buy a filter but is there a filter? Should I buy a filter? I ordered the Amsoil from my Amsoil guy. Did y'all just put in the Trans fluid? Or is there something else to add? I know there was another thread where some guys were talking about friction modifiers? WTH?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the SDHQ Trans pan but just haven't put it on yet. I bought a new Trans gasket from the dealer. I didn't buy a filter but is there a filter? Should I buy a filter? I ordered the Amsoil from my Amsoil guy. Did y'all just put in the Trans fluid? Or is there something else to add? I know there was another thread where some guys were talking about friction modifiers? WTH?

The gasket is designed to be reusable which is what I did. I used redline oil since I had a load from a while ago. I did not change the filter since the factory ons is very good. Some will yell at me sating but It really is a very good filter. I added a few magnets in the bottom of the pan to trap any metal shavings.