GEN 1 Transmission cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey just trying to do my first transmission flush and I am having a hard time identifying the cooler lines on my 2012. Don’t I want to disconnect those to drain the fluid?

Thanks!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video where a mechanic showed flushing the trans by disconnecting the return line, put a bucket under it, started the truck to drain the fluid. Shut it off to fill the trans and did that several times. Looked like a big PITA. And you don’t want the fluid to drain completely out of the pan! Good way of burning up the pump. Most people, including myself, just drop the pan, change filter, button up and refill. I found using an oil extractor like Topsider prior to dropping the pan keeps the mess to a minimum.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yea I watched that video too. Seemed like the complete way to do it so I was going to attempt. What does the dealership typically do?

Thanks again!

C

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

C

tltoronto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this, was a bit of a PITA without a drain bolt or fill tube. If you plan on keeping the truck, I think there is a trans pan with a drain bolt for the 6r80:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-265-854/overview/

here it is, not going to break the bank, and personally, combo it up with the Saudi trans cooler and dip stick mod and you will be laughing with money in your pocket. I used a suction tool to drain a majority of the trans oil prior to removing the pan. and then loosened all the bolts off and slowly lowered the pan. it still had about half a quart in it so be careful when you drop it. That oil will be hot.

Pull out the old filter, give the surfaces a clean, the gasket is reusable, However, I did put a new one in because the gasket is cheaper than the trans oil I put in and its just cheap insurance. Put some oil on the new filter o ring, (and make sure the old one came out with the old filter) Make sure the sealing surfaces are as clean as possible and pot them back together, torqued to the appropriate number and sequence.

Now for filling, I filled the trans until it was coming out the filler with a cheap oil pump I got at a local chinesium shop (princess auto) put the nut and dipstick back on snug, and fired uo the truck.
Do not fire it up without the fill bolt on the trans, oil will go everywhere.

On a level surface, truck idling in park, e brake on, remove the trans bolt, check to see where the level is at. I let my truck get to operating temp, and holy shit it was hot under there, so if you don't have a good set of gloves, set the oil level at the lower level on the hash marks, as the truck comes up to temp, the fluid will heat expand and show its operating level.

That adjustment is a hot one, you have to be fairly quick because your hnd is going to burn with gloves on. but, it is the only way to make sure its good. I run mine at the higher level, which was hard to achieve, but more oil, more lube right?

Take your time, there are some very helpful videos on youtube, I suggest reviewing those prior to tackling this.

OP
OP
C

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you tltoronto. So I am guessing you didn’t do the flush part through the cooler lines? I just read somewhere that they don’t recommend the flush on high mileage vehicles because there could be a lot of gunk built up that could become dislodged and ruin the tranny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered new oem lines; (part# BL3Z-7R081C) from fordpartsgiant.com. Best price I could find at $157 delivered.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026-151325_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026-151325_Chrome.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20221026-151436_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026-151436_Chrome.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 15