Transmission compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craigafus

Reaction score
So i finally found a used 6R80 transmission that came from a 2012 4wd 5.0L F-150. (150k miles)
It cost $650+$200 core charge+tax
Changed the front seal.
Changed the filter and pan gasket.
Cleaned the pan, especially the magnet.
Blew out the cooler lines (reverse of fluid flow) with some compressed air.
Installed the transmission and put everything back together. Using anti-seize in many places.
Filled the transmission with Mercon LV. (5 quarts)
Started her up and let her idle for like 15 mins.
Holding the brake down I periodically shifted through all gears while waiting.
Took it for a test drive and it was in limp mode. (wouldnt shift out of first gear, but at least it was moving)
Took it back home to reset the computer.
Disconnected the Negative battery terminal, and using an alligator clip i connected the negative cable to the positive terminal that was still connected to the battery.
Waited 15 minutes.
After cranking her back up, she started shifting (rough, loud banging)
She was trying to learn the shift points since i reset it.
The more I drove the softer it shifted.
After getting back home with the trans temp at 190 I got underneath to check the trans dipstick.
Its very easy to burn yourself.
The Dipstick was dry.
Added 3 more quarts and the level was in the acceptable range on the dipstick. closer to the bottom. which is fine since i added 3 cold quarts, and the fluid expands when it gets hot.
Took her for another drive and shifting got even softer.
I'm still driving her easy. But im so happy to have her back on the road without paying 3k for a remanned transmission.

shaw21

Reaction score
Wow thank you all for your help! I actually didnt even know anyone replied & i was looking up the p07aa code & came across this which i am the one who started this thread anyways i agree i would really like to get my trans rebuilt but im having a hard time finding a place that will do it. Ive found one place that is willing to at least give me a price but ive been calling them for a couple weeks now & they still haven't been able to give me a quote. So i think im gonna have to just find one & replace it & just wondering if i end up going with a used one what is compatible that is basically plug & play? There are a few raptor trans on ebay but most have a lot of miles & they are close to if not more than $2000 but i saw a few f150 trans for quite a bit cheaper with less miles. So just to clarify the 6r80 from a f150 with the 5.0 will work? & 6r80 from f250 before 2016 with the 6.2 will work? & im assuming an f150 with 6.2 should also work? Thanks again for the help! Very much appreciated!
I had mine rebuilt in my 2013 raptor. The shop upgraded the shaft, which I had hewn into. Apparently the 6.2 produces too much torque for the oem shaft to handle. Mine now runs like Deon sanders in a wide open field after breaking six tackles

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had mine rebuilt in my 2013 raptor. The shop upgraded the shaft, which I had hewn into. Apparently the 6.2 produces too much torque for the oem shaft to handle. Mine now runs like Deon sanders in a wide open field after breaking six tackles
Look this thread is almost 2 years old and OP been gone that long almost. Glad to hear you got yours fixed to much torque on a stock 6.3 LOL.......Might be to much wheel hop. You cot a pic of this 2013.....Pics or it is a Prius