Transmission compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Aldo0280

Reaction score
So i found a good deal on a 6r80 from an f150 with 5.0 coyote motor & just want to make sure before i buy it that it will work for sure or not? If so is there anything i need to know that may be different? Thank u & i apologize for all the questions an absolutely appreciate very much the help!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So i found a good deal on a 6r80 from an f150 with 5.0 coyote motor & just want to make sure before i buy it that it will work for sure or not? If so is there anything i need to know that may be different? Thank u & i apologize for all the questions an absolutely appreciate very much the help!
They are two separate part numbers, so something is different. Personally, I wouldn’t risk it. I doubt they’ll take it back if there’s a compatibility issue.

OP
OP
A

Aldo0280

Reaction score
Thank u keshka ive seen that ford 6r80 control and swap info a couple times & it says the 6r80 will bolt directly to all ford modular & coyote engines but ive also been told that the 6r80 from behind the 5.0 coyote engine will not bolt up by multiple ppl now including corey from rpg who told me that the 5.0 coyote engine & the 6.2 have diff bellhousing bolt patterns? So i was really hoping to find someone who has actually tried it or even better someone who has actually put a trans in there raptor from a 5.0 but i haven't had any luck with that so im pretty sure it doesnt bolt up but thank u i really wish that article was correct because i can get a 6r80 from behind a 5.0 for quite a bit less than one from a raptor or even a f150 with 6.2

OP
OP
A

Aldo0280

Reaction score
Just wanted to give an update real quick. I took a chance & bought a somewhat lower mile 6r80 from behind a 5.0. I found it on ebay for $700 bucks but then noticed it was only 40 miles away so i called the wrecking yard that had it & was able to purchase it for $500 bucks since they didnt have to ship it. The 6r80 from behind a 5.0 coyote engine definitely has the same bellhousing bolt pattern & so far i have my old trans out & new 5.0 6r80 in. Getting ready to button everything back up & hope it shifts right? If not i guess ill swap out the valve body with my old one & or take it to local dealer & have them program the new trans. Ill update again when i get it back together. Swap wasnt really that bad considering i did it by myself on the floor in my garage started last nite at around 4pm & finished around midnight with new trans bolted up. I figured for $500 vs $5000 which is what i was quoted to have my trans rebuilt from only place i could get a quote from it was worth a shot & they said it was at least a 2 month wait even for that & only other option was $6000 for a reman trans which was also gonna be a few months. Everyplace said due to covid they were having a hard time getting any parts & or reman transmissions. Worst case ill at least have my old trans out & can drop it off someplace to get rebuilt i guess if i can find one.

OP
OP
A

Aldo0280

Reaction score
Well so far its working better than i thought it would! Shifts great actually! Ill update if i end up with any issues but basically i got a $500 used trans from wrecking yard that was from behind the 5.0 coyote motor because they seem to be the cheapest version of the 6r80 for some reason & all i did was pull mine out & put the one i got in. It even came with a torque converter so i used it. I haven't programmed it or anything & so far its working great! Thank for all the help & hopefully this will help someone in the future who might be thinking about trying the same thing

Craigafus

Reaction score
Well so far its working better than i thought it would! Shifts great actually! Ill update if i end up with any issues but basically i got a $500 used trans from wrecking yard that was from behind the 5.0 coyote motor because they seem to be the cheapest version of the 6r80 for some reason & all i did was pull mine out & put the one i got in. It even came with a torque converter so i used it. I haven't programmed it or anything & so far its working great! Thank for all the help & hopefully this will help someone in the future who might be thinking about trying the same thing
Thank you for explaining your process. I have a 2012 Raptor and I've pulled the transmission out already and have been procrastinating on pulling the trigger on buying a used/remanned one. Now that I see the 6R80 behind a 5.0 coyote motor works I'm going to do a quick search around town to see if I can find one. Now that it's been over 1 year have you had any issues? Have you had to get it programmed or anything? any tips?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad it worked out.
I am surprised RPG told you it would not bolt up...its the exact same transmission as what you pulled out.
With the 5.0 converter does it engage and lock-up at different RPM then before?