Transmission Adaptive Learning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Docked Wages

Reaction score
We bought our 2017 Raptor in September of 2020 with roughly 50K on the odometer.

Background:

It's my wife's daily driver and it gets driven about 7 miles a day total. All of the roads are 40 MPH max speed limit and are all pavement. It's a typical round trip with 4 traffic lights so it's stop and go. She's not an aggressive driver.

Problem:

Hot or Cold the Transmission shifts very harshly from park to reverse and from neutral to drive every time. The 1-2 shift seems normal but 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 hit very hard. Above 5 the shifts are smooth.

Previous failed dealer solution:

Spent a month at a local Ford dealer. At first they said the transmission needed to come out for repair then they changed their mind and decided to do the TSB for a TCM reflash. This worked for about 1000 miles.

Current situation:

We're right back where we started with a trans that is slam shifting as stated above in the Problem.

My solution:

I've found that if I get in the thing and run the **** out of it and manual shift up and down with the paddles the shifts between gears have smoothed out. However the Park-Reverse and Neutral-Drive shifts are harsh.

Question:

Aside from doing reverse slams or neutral drops how can I get the adaptive learning to unlearn its remaining bad habits?

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our 2017 Raptor in September of 2020 with roughly 50K on the odometer.

Background:

It's my wife's daily driver and it gets driven about 7 miles a day total. All of the roads are 40 MPH max speed limit and are all pavement. It's a typical round trip with 4 traffic lights so it's stop and go. She's not an aggressive driver.

Problem:

Hot or Cold the Transmission shifts very harshly from park to reverse and from neutral to drive every time. The 1-2 shift seems normal but 2-3, 3-4 and 4-5 hit very hard. Above 5 the shifts are smooth.

Previous failed dealer solution:

Spent a month at a local Ford dealer. At first they said the transmission needed to come out for repair then they changed their mind and decided to do the TSB for a TCM reflash. This worked for about 1000 miles.

Current situation:

We're right back where we started with a trans that is slam shifting as stated above in the Problem.

My solution:

I've found that if I get in the thing and run the **** out of it and manual shift up and down with the paddles the shifts between gears have smoothed out. However the Park-Reverse and Neutral-Drive shifts are harsh.

Question:

Aside from doing reverse slams or neutral drops how can I get the adaptive learning to unlearn its remaining bad habits?

had the same issue, if you have access to forscan you can reset the learning. Been good for 10k plus on the harsh park/reverse/drive

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Honestly, Park to Drive, Reverse to Drive, neutral to Drive, are always clunky. They’re MORE clunky when the transmission is cold. Some call this ‘harsh’. I call it a truck.

FORSCAN can reset the adaptive tables, but then you are supposed to go through a specific procedure to ‘teach’ the computer how you expect to drive.

UhOh

Reaction score
My 2017 had the EXACT same issues you describe.
Printed off the TSB -- thanks FRF! -- and took it to the dealer. Viola! Much better now :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
wait... they gave you a viola at the dealer for taking your truck in?

Sweet!

Derrick Hernandez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017 owner as well. I've had my truck at the dealer 4x now for the same issue as you described. Every time they just reflash the transmission and say it's good to go. They would always say it's because of my Cobb tuner(sold last year). The truck is currently acting up again with the extremely "harsh" shifting. Not normal even for a truck. When it's flashed it acts great for about 4-6 months. I'm out of warranty so I'll be taking it back in and see what happens!