GEN 1 Transfer Case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a transfer case go out at 67k miles? I was having trouble with my 2014 grinding going in and out of 4 low. Took it in and they said transfer case is shelled. Never even used 4 low and very seldom use 4 high. Usually just when the weather is icy. It’s basically a pavement princess. So disappointed in ford right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many times have you changed the transfer case fluid?

I have 34,000 on my 2010 and I've changed the fluid twice now, fluid was completely burnt both times.

Keep in mind my truck has never been off-road but I do high speeds on the highways, 130+
Burnt out every bearing the rear at 25,000 miles.

Also when engaging and disengaging 4x4 low,
which maybe I used three times in 8 years and that was just to play and tow an 18 wheeler out of a snow bank.
I always come to a complete stop and put the tranny in neutral and let my foot off the brakes.
This is something I've done for 35 years with all my 4x4's I've own.

Even though the manual says you can engage 4x4 high while doing 55
I've had it happen twice were it didn't engage fully, even with keeping gas so there's no load on the drivetrain.
So I slow down as much as possible before engaging 4x4.

Also keep in mine I do a lot of 4x4 high launches, transfer case is holding up to 560 RWHP

Last edited:
OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times have you changed the transfer case fluid?

I have 34,000 on my 2010 and I've changed the fluid twice now, fluid was completely brunt both times.

Keep in mind my truck has never been off-road but I do high speeds on the highways, 130+
Brunt out every bearing the rear at 25,000 miles.

Also when engaging and disengaging 4x4 low,
which maybe I used three times in 8 years and that was just to play and tow an 18 wheeler out of snow bank.
I always come to a complete stop and put the tranny in neutral and let my foot off the brakes.
This is something I've done for 35 years with all my 4x4's I've own.

Even though the manual says you can engage 4x4 high while doing 55
I've had it happen twice were it didn't engage fully, even with keeping gas so there no load on the drivetrain.
So I slow down as much as possible before engaging 4x4.

Also keep in mine I do a lot of 4x4 high launches, transfer case is holding up to 560 RWHP
Have only changed the fluid once. I’ve never heard of anyone else having this happen and most people don’t change it as much as you do. The truck has been absolutely babied since the day I got it from the factory. No reason for this to happen other than faulty parts. Very disappointed in the truck after how it was built up to be the toughest truck on the road. I had a half ton V6 ford that was abused and lasted way over a hundred thousand with only minor problems. I bought the raptor thinking it would last me forever. Not impressed.

Riddick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have only changed the fluid once. I’ve never heard of anyone else having this happen and most people don’t change it as much as you do. The truck has been absolutely babied since the day I got it from the factory. No reason for this to happen other than faulty parts. Very disappointed in the truck after how it was built up to be the toughest truck on the road. I had a half ton V6 ford that was abused and lasted way over a hundred thousand with only minor problems. I bought the raptor thinking it would last me forever. Not impressed.

Just hang in there. I know it’s frustrating to be down a vehicle, but the truck has more positives than negatives. Maybe during this time you can do what I did and start taking precautions. Change all fluids whether needed or not. While underneath grab and shake every part possible for wear. Upgrade iwe hoses, trans pan and cooler, diff cover, power steering cooler, brakes, etc.

Well I’ve got a list that’s probably not all necessary by the way you drive, but you get the point. I baby mine as well, but went ahead and took care of the problem areas and keep an eye on others. In your case there was no way of preventing, but once fixed you can move on to other areas and hopefully have a trouble (or at least minor) free life.

OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just hang in there. I know it’s frustrating to be down a vehicle, but the truck has more positives than negatives. Maybe during this time you can do what I did and start taking precautions. Change all fluids whether needed or not. While underneath grab and shake every part possible for wear. Upgrade iwe hoses, trans pan and cooler, diff cover, power steering cooler, brakes, etc.

Well I’ve got a list that’s probably not all necessary by the way you drive, but you get the point. I baby mine as well, but went ahead and took care of the problem areas and keep an eye on others. In your case there was no way of preventing, but once fixed you can move on to other areas and hopefully have a trouble (or at least minor) free life.
Yeah I’m just frustrated paying almost $70k for a vehicle that’s supposed to be almost indestructible by civilian standards, only to have a major breakdown well before 100k miles. Oh well, guess I’m just the lucky one! Thanks for the input!

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get a 2nd opinion could be your shift motor actuator. I 2nd that on fluid changes , every 25,000 for transmission and transfer case. 85,000 miles on mine now . Many 4wd HI 1st gear launches fluid is always cherry red.. Getting ready for trans an transfer case on my Tremor . Coming up on 25,000 miles on that. Many 4HI boost launches so i'm interested in what the fluid is going to look like.

Martin Arnold

Reaction score
My T-Case went out right around 70K ..... covered under my warranty and so it was taken care of. About 5000 miles later my rear diff started whining pretty bad, took that in and they had to rebuild it. I think with any vehicle you get good builds, and the few bad builds..... I'm hoping that's all that goes wrong with mine - but things tend to happen in threes !

OP
OP
okieff218

okieff218

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get a 2nd opinion could be your shift motor actuator. I 2nd that on fluid changes , every 25,000 for transmission and transfer case. 85,000 miles on mine now . Many 4wd HI 1st gear launches fluid is always cherry red.. Getting ready for trans an transfer case on my Tremor . Coming up on 25,000 miles on that. Many 4HI boost launches so i'm interested in what the fluid is going to look like.
Went with the second opinion and they couldn’t get it to act up again. Went ahead and had them change the oil and it’s been shifting fine ever since I got it back. Weird fluke, I guess. Glad I didn’t let the dealership put in a new transfer case and charge me $2400. Still had to pay $130 for their “diagnosis”, though.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
you could always do what trophy truck teams do ( yes I'm giving a secret away). I learned this a couple months ago.

Most TT teams put a little bit of cherry scented fluid into the ATF. When you change the oil in your truck, pop the dipstick and smell the fluid. If you don't smell any "cherry", time to change the ATF.

I have no idea where they get the cherry scent. I have no idea if it might cause issues with a factory transmission/cooler setup. It has no negative impact on the big dollar TT transmissions, but I haven't tried it in my truck yet.

I do plan to try the trick in the hauler, but not until I pick up a new tow rig.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pinion bearing dies in rear diff 27750 - Replace entire rear end - Warrantee
Center consol Heating / Air pannel - Replaced 27750 Warrantee

Front Shocks Died 33000 out of warrantee - Replaced with Fox 3.0 and other suspension upgrades. The stock rear shocks are holding up well.

Transfers case 67000 - Replaced - Extended warrantee
Both front CV joints 67000 - Replaced Extended warrantee
Steering column control unit / motor Died 67000 - Replaced Extended warrantee.

The extended warrantee that I purchased has worked well. Great service from my local dealer. The down time was a PIA.
The entire rear end was shipped from Kalifornia to Detroit for analysis - Took 2.5 weeks to get my truck back. Transfers case, CVs and Steering column 1.5 weeks

I don't beat my truck - Basically a street queen with VERY rare mild off-road use mostly on unimproved roads for work - nothing serious and rarely 4WL. I have babied this truck not like other 4wheel drive vehicles I have owned.

Last edited: