Help SupportFord Raptor Forum by donating:

Help support Ford Raptor Forum :

GEN 2 Transfer case skid

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by waveslayer, Mar 23, 2019.

1. nfsraptor

nfsraptor Full Access Member

Just when i thought i was done modding for a while i run into this post. I have noticed some damage on my trasmission crossmember after going to Asuza. I checked out your link and saw they have 10 gauge steel or aluminum. Would the steel protect better at the cost of weight? Also did you not get the front plates as they would not fit the stock bumper or aftermarket? I have stock now but plan to get the ADD Honeybadger bumper with winch in like 6 months to a year.

Trick.Raptor likes this.
  2. Trick.Raptor

Trick.Raptor The Cracker Raptor Supporting Member

I can't say if steel is a better option over aluminum. Since you go offroad I would not take the powdercoat option as the skid plate is made to get damaged! I've had a few hard hits with mine and there are a few gashes. You know the old saying... A skid plate unused is a useless skid plate :)

The lower part of my LEX Motorsports bumper has mounts to the factory skid plate and I wasn't sure if it would match up with the RCI skid plate so I just did the trans/transfer case and gas tank thinking I could always add the engine skid down the road. I still have the factory one and it has been good. At this point if I replace it I would use one from Forged Offroad who does most of the work on my Raptor now.

--

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    nfsraptor likes this.
  3. nfsraptor

nfsraptor Full Access Member

Yeah, you are right powder coat would be useless for actual offroading. Hm I will add this to the top of my mod wish list as i was cleaning up some of my wiring last weekend I saw all the gashes and dents I have put in and your plates looked great! Thanks for all the info and I look forward to seeing all your mods on the flight run coming up!

4. HeavyAssault

HeavyAssault Full Access Member

Pretty sure there's something called torque that may have been involved.

Consider the forces applied to the drivetrain when accelerating, or when sudden traction occurs.

I doubt you struck an object while driving....most people would know pretty quick, not to mention the pics look like the front axle is what has been cracked.