Transfer case replaced on 2013 SVT with 65k miles - bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The transfer case on my truck was replaced recently and I don't think much about it, but then again it is my truck already. I might dig a little bit deeper on a new purchase, but would probably be fine if the dealership had the paperwork documenting everything.

If its a good deal don't pass it up because a single component failed and was replaced.

OP
OP
Sharkman

Sharkman

Reaction score
The transfer case on my truck was replaced recently and I don't think much about it, but then again it is my truck already. I might dig a little bit deeper on a new purchase, but would probably be fine if the dealership had the paperwork documenting everything.

If its a good deal don't pass it up because a single component failed and was replaced.

Thanks! Appreciate it much!

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 2013 SVT with 64K miles. The Ford dealership replaced the transfer case yesterday. Is this a truck I want to avoid purchasing?

It is an auction truck and procured from a small, non-Ford, dealership, so they know nothing about the vehicle. Do not want to fork over $40k for something that will fail me soon....

I am not in any rush, so passing on this truck is no biggie. It is a single owner vehicle originally from Texas with a clean CarFax.

I appreciate all your comments and insight.

I would not worry if the dealership replaced the T-Case on warranty. I'd probably ask service adviser what failed... but its just a part, and parts do have issues.

I would do yourself a favor and really go over the vehicle looking for clues on its previous life and maintenance. Check out underneath the truck to see if skid plates look used, do bolt heads look like they have tool marks on them (dif cover, trans pan, skid plates etc) Check Fuse 27 and look to see if shocks are leaking

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As the name states, new guy here. Not concerned about the cost or time of the fluid, or the work as I love this truck and will do anything to keep it til top, but I have heard stories of if you’ve reached X amount of miles that a transfer case/differential fluid change could cause more harm than good.

Bought truck used and didn’t get great service records, although local race shop gave it clean PPI.

Thoughts/theories behind this?

I've heard of the transmission fluid change later in the game could cause more harm than good.

That being said, on my first Raptor, I had the trans flushed and a bigger pan installed at 50k. Had the truck till 87k miles and it was still shifting on point.

My current one is at 52k miles and I haven't decided if I want to flush, change or just leave it alone for now.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the transmission rebuilt on my 14 at 88,000. I am also pushing 625hp through it on 37's and beat on it regularly!!
That being said, I asked my trans shop this exact thing. His reply: On newer designed transmissions, where tolerances are tighter and they operate at a much higher operating temp; it is always a good idea to change filters and fluids every 25-30,000 miles. He said that on an older trans (AOD, C6, TH350), sometimes the seals were ******, tolerances were bigger and changing fluids would actually accelerate issues that were going to show up later. He said the fluid change didnt cause the problems, just made it show up quicker.

I trust my trans guy, he has been a drag racer and off-road enthusiast his whole life, so he gets what we need from our trucks performance wise.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of those stories about a trans flush killing a trans were in transmissions that were on their last legs, the only friction material left was what was in the fluid. The trans flush was sold as a quick fix and ended up bricking the trans.

These are sealed for life transmissions. Service is recommended at 150k under "severe duty" use, which most raptors would qualify for. I did a pan, fliter and partial fluid replacement at 70k, mostly because I had a little leak and needed to do the gasket anyway. Fluid looked great and there was a normal amount of friction material in the pan (probably from break in). If you can get 150k out of one of these trans without ever touching it (which you can) it seems reasonable to do so. Flushing 15 quarts through one of these every 30k doesn't seem very economical.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Flushing 15 quarts through one of these every 30k doesn't seem very economical.

Is anything on theses trucks economical?

I'll probably stretch mine to 50k, just because I rack up miles pretty fast, but like I said, my converter disintegrated at 88k, and apparently this is a known weak link in our transmissions. Add 200+hp over stock to that, and the abuse goes up. I think its a great way to see whats going on in there and keep it clean.
Its a $100......

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see multiple members stating that their transfer case needed to be replaced. The Gen I transfer case is essentially the same design as a manual transmission, except much simpler and in many cases more robust. These units are also fully serviceable, meaning that all internal bearings and components can be replaced separately; there is no need to replace the entire unit unless it is literally shattered. They also contain no clutch or differential; it's literally a hi/lo unit.

Maybe someone who had their T-case replaced can provide a copy of a repair order?