Transfer case or trans sounds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So my recently purchased 13 Screw just started making the same damn sound my 11 expedition EL Limited has been making for the past year. Obviously it's continued to get worse and worse in my Expedition, would really like to solve whatever it may be before it gets worse in the raptor. Gonna link two videos, one is the new raptor(sound between 2-4 seconds and 17-20 seconds) and the other is my expedition(allot at begining, little more as it goes on. It's an intermittent sound that doesn't seem to effect anything. Just sounds HORRIBLE. Ive learned to live with it in my expedition as it's my work truck, but I want a better life for the raptor!
I tried searching, couldn't find anything relating to this type of sound.
ANY INPUT OR INSIGHT WOULD BE HIGHLY Appreciated!

OP
OP
PoolManRaptor87

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw havnt had the chance to change any fluids yet in the Gen1. When I did a drain and fill on the expedition and changed the transfer case fluid at the same time, sound got allot better for roughly a week before coming back same as it was before. Which makes me think it's either the trans or transfer case. However the Raptor had a new trans and torque converter installed less than 10k ago, original transfer case....
Raptor has 200k, expedition has 240k
If any of that additional info helps

Skubik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So not sure on yours, hard to tell sound from the video but recently like days ago my truck started making a sound in between shifts that after researching turns out to be "torque converter shutter" very common in our trucks
Only does it when I first drive the truck intermittently and after about a 30 minute drive it goes completely away.
My truck only has 53k miles. Usually this would mean I need a new TC.
My truck was driving fine until I replaced the lead frame, after lead frame install it ran like a dream and after a few weeks out of nowhere I hear the TC shutter, I thought it was my engine at first or something with my tune, I even refreshed my tune hoping it wasn't something with running lean or something but fuel pressure gauge showed normal, as did AFR's. (Gen 1 supercharged)

TC slips if you are low on trans fluid or overfill it because the fluid apparently mixes with air. I'm going to check my levels today. I didn't go by dip stick I just put back in what I took out. Probably not the best practice.

Second thing maybe you guys can help me answer: my truck had royal purple in the trans, should of just kept it the same but decided to go with motorcraft mercon LV instead. Both good choices I just wonder if there's an issue with them mixing? 5 quarts stay in TC so I have at least that much mixed in with my Motorcraft fluid. Should be compatible BUT....
Thoughts anyone?

Azygos

Reaction score
It’s a little hard to hear clearly on my phone. Is there any chance it’s IWE noise?

Once you’re in your selected range, the t-case should (I think) not be doing much. The problems with the t-case usually seem to be shifting between ranges. My ‘14 with 74k miles has been in the shop for a week because it’s failing shifting 4L-4H. That’s a very loud grinding noise or just failing to move while the tach and speedometer climb. Not fun when it does that after dark on a technical trail miles from pavement.

Of course that didn’t happen until the extended warranty ran out, and the dealer said they can’t replicate the problem. They’ll have plenty of time to try again waiting for a new rear window to fix the defroster. They can’t source one through usual parts ordering.

OP
OP
PoolManRaptor87

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PoolManRaptor87 were you able to figure out what was causing that noise?

I’ve been noticing something similar on my raptor and I’d like to get it fixed.
I did, and it was iwe noise, on both trucks. While replacing iwes and coil springs on the raptor I noticed passenger side iwe line (hard line) was broken. So replaced both iwes, and all the hard lines(with 1/4inch vinyl irrigation tubing, cheap vacuum fittings)
PXL_20230805_193532909.jpgPXL_20230805_193544972.jpg
and noise has completely gone away. Same with the expedition.
Guys around here really aren't kidding when they say if your not sure, it's IWEs.
Or fuse 27.
Lmao

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the fix.
IWEs and their lines are common.
I was helped out and told exactly where to look...sure enough cracked line.

raptorsrule

Reaction score
I did, and it was iwe noise, on both trucks. While replacing iwes and coil springs on the raptor I noticed passenger side iwe line (hard line) was broken. So replaced both iwes, and all the hard lines(with 1/4inch vinyl irrigation tubing, cheap vacuum fittings)
View attachment 436449View attachment 436450
and noise has completely gone away. Same with the expedition.
Guys around here really aren't kidding when they say if your not sure, it's IWEs.
Or fuse 27.
Lmao
Wow! Nice find for real. The noise is so annoying. I’ll def need to look into this fix. I’m not well versed mechanically. The line seems easy enough. How difficult is it to replace IWEs?

OP
OP
PoolManRaptor87

PoolManRaptor87

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Nice find for real. The noise is so annoying. I’ll def need to look into this fix. I’m not well versed mechanically. The line seems easy enough. How difficult is it to replace IWEs?
Lines are very easy
PXL_20230806_223851419~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223912417~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223957723~2.jpgPXL_20230806_223920630~2.jpgPXL_20230806_224006843~2.jpg

Iwes on the other hand. If your not comfortable doing like your front shocks, you probably would want to have someone else do your iwes. Because you need take the axel out of the hubs. Iwes are between axel and hub assembly. H

raptorsrule

Reaction score
Lines are very easy
View attachment 436768View attachment 436769View attachment 436767View attachment 436766View attachment 436770

Iwes on the other hand. If your not comfortable doing like your front shocks, you probably would want to have someone else do your iwes. Because you need take the axel out of the hubs. Iwes are between axel and hub assembly. H
Appreciate the advice brother! Sounds like something beyond my current skill level. All good tho!