GEN 1 Transfer Case Oil: Mercon LV ATF vs XL12 Transfer Case Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice, would be interested in seeing it, I used Motorcraft XL12 from rockauto last year but when that dries up I'll eventually need to use something else. LV in the trans and t-case both would simplify things a little.

It would simplify things a lot! Mercon LV is used in the power steering system, too.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
That's just because you're so torque demanding :D Admittedly I had to google it, ours are ESOF though:
https://www.f150forum.com/f38/esof-newbie-question-113582/
Regardless I think we're cool using LV.

HA HA HA I'm getting ready to do a 2nd fluid change myself now that I'm at 99k. First change I did was at 50k with a tranny flush by my mechanic and he said the fluid looked OK and we used Mercon LV. I'm going to do the TC change myself this time around as I'm curious to what the fluid will look like...

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HA HA HA I'm getting ready to do a 2nd fluid change myself now that I'm at 99k. First change I did was at 50k with a tranny flush by my mechanic and he said the fluid looked OK and we used Mercon LV. I'm going to do the TC change myself this time around as I'm curious to what the fluid will look like...
Well 50k miles and it didn't grenade, sounds like it worked fine, interested to hear how it looks as I'm going with the exact same service interval on mine.