GEN 1 Trans Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, truck is back at the shop. Another leak from the same area. Let's see what this leads to...

How many miles on the truck? There is no way that the torque converter just magically developed a pinhole in the weld. It was either there since it was manufactured, or it wasn't. Faulty welds don't just appear.

Has it been confirmed that the leak is transmission fluid and not engine oil?

OP
OP
R

RoushJake

Reaction score
How many miles on the truck? There is no way that the torque converter just magically developed a pinhole in the weld. It was either there since it was manufactured, or it wasn't. Faulty welds don't just appear.

Has it been confirmed that the leak is transmission fluid and not engine oil?
100k. It’s possible it’s been there a while I recently bought the truck at 96k. It was only driven 4k by the last owner he had it for 2 years. It 100% is trans fluid. Pretty distinct red color I’ll attach a picture. Something was definitely wrong with the converter, it drives much better now. Just chasing this leak. Shop replaced the pump seal again today. He thinks they may have nicked it during install. Took care of me so not an issue. Would love to hear your opinion on this. IMG_5865.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

RoushJake

Reaction score
@FordTechOne This thing is leaking... again. Had him do all new front seals and has now had 2 pump seals and a torque converter. Is it possible the vent is stuck so pressure is building and is now venting out a seal? Any ideas? Thanks

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Replace the factory converter with a Circle D billet made for the Raptor.
At 88,000 my converter literally disintegrated internally. You could hear metal pieces flopping around inside it. Fairly common on this trans is what I was told. You tube search has a bunch of mustangs with same problem from hard launches..lol
The circle D converter was not available when I had my trans done, have considered yanking mine just for that swap.

I never had fluid leaks though, so something is up with yours.