Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 1 Trans Leak

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by RoushJake, Jun 22, 2020.

1. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

Pretty good leak on front of transmission coming from in between bell housing and dust plate. Indy shop says it’s a front seal and wants $1800+. Anyone else had a similar leak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

complexCarlo likes this.
  2. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

If you have any desire to wrench on the thing yourself this project isn't that bad. The only real special tool you need is a good trans jack with multi axis tilt and an assortment of extensions and swivel sockets. You can throw in a used trans (any 2010-2014 4x4 modular v8 trans will work and can be had with low miles used) or just replace that seal, its the first thing you come to when you start opening the trans.

At any rate $1800+ seems high, essentially all they will be doing is R+R the transmission, driveshafts, t-case, exhaust and replacing the seal (R&R the trans pump). This is mostly a labor job.

3. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

New opinion is torque converter is shot. I have no problem wrenching on small things but my mind tells me no when it comes to messing with the transmission. I will update on the outcome. Should know for sure by EOD.

4. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

Truck will be getting a new torque converter as well as all new seals. Found a pinhole leak in a weld on the converter. Who knows how long it’s been leaking, shop said there was a good amount of fluid sprayed around the bell housing.

5. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

It sounds like you have a reliable diagnosis. That's certainly encouraging.
    I hope your truck comes back to you at least as reliable as it was when new.

6. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

New torque converter is in. Had them do all front seals while it was out too. Truck drives great, firmed up everything and my rollout (0-5 MPH) is smooth now. Even though this was a somewhat costly experience, pretty happy with the outcome.

B E N and CoronaRaptor like this.
  7. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

Well, truck is back at the shop. Another leak from the same area. Let's see what this leads to...

8. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

I hate hearing this, sucks!

9. ezndo

ezndo Full Access Member

Maybe bulk head connector....once that starts to leak, it looks like the pan is leaking but in reality it is coming from the connector located above pan

10. RoushJake

RoushJake Member

Looked into this initially but my leak is coming from the bell housing and is pooling in the bottom. When I brake the fluid gets pushed to the front of the bell housing and dust plate and leaks from there. Got the truck back today so I will drive it a bit over the next few days and check.