GEN 1 Trans issues.. need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrady5979

Reaction score
13 screw.. has 160k on truck. Truck has always been well maintained by dealer and is immaculate. Several months back got the recall notice for the reflash and brought it in. Shortly after it did the 6th- First drop on the highway then never did it again. Last week got another notice that there is a recall on the original recall. Truck went to the dealer and they changed the lead frame and flashed. Truck didn’t change and went back and now Im being told the trans is no good and needs to be replaced and I’m shut out of luck because I’m 10k over the extension they put on it for the recall. Need some insight or help from anyone that’s had the issues. Trucks going to be there for a month they say and I’m going to be out 4K.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's insanity, the truck drives fine or are you having some other problems with the trans? Is it still doing the 6th-->1st shift on the highway? Describe the issues your having as best you can.

They are bending you over on the trans as well. There are a ton of almost new used 6r80s out there, find a shop thats willing to put a low mileage one in your truck, it will cost less than half that and will be OEM rather than some rebuilt thing that was slapped together by someone who may or may not have the skill to do so.

OP
OP
jbrady5979

jbrady5979

Reaction score
So it’s started with the 6th—>1st drop then the wrench was on. Turn truck off wrench would go off truck would drive fine for a few, get to about 160_175 degrees and then there would be a shutter or a hesitation in 5th and wouldn’t go into 6th unless I pushed it to.then the check engine light would come on and it went into a safe mode where it was 1st 3rd and 6th. Shifting from a dead stop would go 1,2,3,4,1,6.. couldn’t climb hill worth a shit, it just sputters and kind of pops and no balls. The code I scanned was P0741 for a flywheel speed sensor. They replaced the lead frame and flashed and it still did it. Now it’s at Ford and they are ordering a “new”trans from Ford.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you getting covered?

There's two speed sensors input and output
Did they change the input (flywheel) speed sensor along with the leadframe?

OP
OP
jbrady5979

jbrady5979

Reaction score
The speed sensors are part of the Leed frame that’s, I guess, why they were having the initial issues when the recall went out. Then there was a software flash that ended up being bad and needed to be reflashed.
Anyway they say they could rebuild or replace and the prices were in the same ball park so I went towards a new/replacement. The guy at the dealership is doing everything he can but I just feel like Ford should be on the hook. Truck was fine and due to their faulty piece ,wich they they knew about, caused these issues in wich caused a catastrophic failure.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No OEM is going to replace a transmission with 160k miles on it on their dime. It's a bad deal for you, since the truck was working fine except that issue; the miles are just too high, too much wear.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you called Ford Corporate (Customer Relationship Center/CRC)? If you are the original owner and have service records for the vehicle they often contribute toward the repair, especially if it may be "related damage" from the issue that the recall addressed.

OP
OP
jbrady5979

jbrady5979

Reaction score
Update: so I have the truck back. They put a new complete trans in. Cost just under 3k and trucks driving odd but it’s in its break in and learning curve so we’ll see.