Trans fluid change or not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check fluid level after the drive?

yes. ive checked it mult times. and I had run it through the gears a few times in the driveway before I drove it as well. seems good. def not low on fluid. I hope I don't have too much in it. if I do, its not a ton extra.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is how I do mine:

I pull the transmission cooler return line, and let the transmission fluid drain that way—it allows you to get all the fluid out of your torque converter. Moreover, I drop the pan to change the filter and inspect and clean everything myself.

I got tired of dickering with service mangers. They want to argue with you and say you don't need to change the transmission filter because it is "good for the life of the vehicle"—yea, you can kick rocks with that stupidity. Moreover, I don't like the idea of flushing the transmission with a machine. Essentially you are pushing/blasting old fluid through your transmission, which could clog the valves and/or damage something due to the metal shavings/debris that is inside the old fluid. If you are going to flush your transmission, you need to at least drop the pan first and clean everything (including changing the filter), then flush it.

Do stuff yourself and know that it was done right.

Watching that video I have one question would running the trans dry like that ruin it?

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watching that video I have one question would running the trans dry like that ruin it?

I don't think you are really running it dry. thats why he says when the fluid starts to flicker, turn off the engine. you can turn it off sooner, you are just trying to get as much fluid out before you drop the pan. when you are flushing it, you aren't getting it dry either, so fill run for a bit, re fill, and run again. do that until the fluid is nice and clean