Trans fluid change or not ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, I don't know if this something that is true or just a shade tree mechanic lore, but unless you flush the whole system you should use the factory fluid. I want to change to Amsoil or another aftermarket brand, but I dont want to mix the two different brands. Again, could be total BS but just something I've always heard for transmission at the very least.

Trail fixes and the like need not apply to this statement.

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where are you guys getting the trans filter and pan gasket?

also, what is the best/easiest way to fill the trans?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where are you guys getting the trans filter and pan gasket?

also, what is the best/easiest way to fill the trans?

Filter screen & gasket from Ford Parts Giant.com. They are one of the lowest priced suppliers, and located west coast, as am I, so postage was low.

Installed the B&M flexible dip stick tube for ease of filling and checking fluid level.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filter screen & gasket from Ford Parts Giant.com. They are one of the lowest priced suppliers, and located west coast, as am I, so postage was low.

Installed the B&M flexible dip stick tube for ease of filling and checking fluid level.
What's the part number for the b&m dip stick?

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Performance Automatic dipstick as it does not require you to drill into the firewall.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also indicates that it mounts to the firewall. I've have not seen or read any info where firewall mounting was a problem.

I have no dog in this fight and not inherently recommending one over the other, they should by rights be the same. However, this video shows the PA dipstick using a mounting plate:

Whereas this B&M dipstick mounts directly to the firewall with a set of self tapping screws:

Its 100% personal preference, but I would loathe to use those self tapping screws.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight and not inherently recommending one over the other, they should by rights be the same. However, this video shows the PA dipstick using a mounting plate:

Whereas this B&M dipstick mounts directly to the firewall with a set of self tapping screws:

Its 100% personal preference, but I would loathe to use those self tapping screws.

You've changed your recommendation from your first post. Your prerogative. Again, no info on the self tapping mounting screws causing any problems. Except for the mounts, both brands are very similar in design and price.