Trans died, replacement cost??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At 88,000 i noticed that the converter would not lock up going down the highway. I stopped by my friends transmissiion shop and without even leaving the parking lot he said "yup converters ******" No slip, no noise nothing really wrong.
He said this trans is actually used is in a lot of vehicles (F150, Expedition, F250, Mercedes GL450) and is quite strong, but does have some issues. When he got mine apart the converter was actually broken, clutches were worn and a couple other wear items looked trashed.
Mine has been supercharged since day 1 so not sure if that accelerated the wear, or if there was a differnt reason.

I had him rebuild it, as he was able to rebuild with some heavier duty clutch packs and performance minded things. Unfortunately at the time of my rebuild, I did not know about the billet converter that Circle D makes for these trucks or I would have upgraded the converter as well.

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 88,000 i noticed that the converter would not lock up going down the highway. I stopped by my friends transmissiion shop and without even leaving the parking lot he said "yup converters ******" No slip, no noise nothing really wrong.
He said this trans is actually used is in a lot of vehicles (F150, Expedition, F250, Mercedes GL450) and is quite strong, but does have some issues. When he got mine apart the converter was actually broken, clutches were worn and a couple other wear items looked trashed.
Mine has been supercharged since day 1 so not sure if that accelerated the wear, or if there was a differnt reason.

I had him rebuild it, as he was able to rebuild with some heavier duty clutch packs and performance minded things. Unfortunately at the time of my rebuild, I did not know about the billet converter that Circle D makes for these trucks or I would have upgraded the converter as well.
Good info. With you, my truck just started having a hard time locking up in 5/6 gear when going down the highway. Truck is a 2013 with 72k miles.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
I had a 2006 Lariat rebuilt several years ago. It was $3200. It was a well-respected shop, and they did a great job. I've put another 100,000+

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Everyone always thinks in mileage but age matters too. Time drains on us all and a transmission is no different especially when you don’t know how the truck was really driven before. You’re gonna start hearing/seeing these Gen 1’s having lots of breakdowns and problems and it’s just about them getting older. IMO they are still the best truck so I just get it fixed and keep keeping on

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I’ve got a 93 F250 that I just keep rubbing $100 bills on so it’s always reliable.

I love my OBS truck even more than the Raptor.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2006 Lariat rebuilt several years ago. It was $3200. It was a well-respected shop, and they did a great job. I've put another 100,000+
Unfortunately, any big ticket purchase cost from before 2020 is now just a reference to better times & a different world. Today, even if you brought in the trans and eliminated the installation part that price has JUMPED up a lot.

jp4lsu

Reaction score
I would be curious to see what it would cost now. Hope I don't have to find out anytime soon. I would agree TomDirt that prices of parts for the rebuild would've gone up. I just don't know how much "a lot" is.