Trans died, replacement cost??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STP

Reaction score
Bought our 1st Gen 1 about a month ago. Unfortunately the transmission took a crap and now we are on the hook for new Trans. My local Ford dealer doing new unit for $4500 OTD. Fair price? 90K miles and Tranny is toast? Anyone else have to do this in their Gen 1? I should have bought the damn extended warranty but never have, didnt figure I'd need to start...guess I was wrong.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a Ford remanufactured tranny in my F250. The tranny came with a three year unlimited mile warranty. Warranty good at any Ford dealer nationwide.

x01203

Reaction score
Same here. Just had mine replaced by a local reputable shop with a re-man for about $4500 or so out the door. Yes, the warranty helps soften the blow. At first I was a little pissed. After they walked me through the list of parts needing replacement (cracked 5-6 drum, cooked torque converter, new valve body, seals, fluid, labor, etc. etc.), it didn't make much sense to go down the re-build path.

I bought mine with about 85K on the clock and have zero background on how much the previous owner(s) may have abused it. I knew I was taking a gamble and unfortunately it bit me in the ass this time. Oh well, look at it this way--now you should be good to go for 100K or more, hopefully. If you add a bigger trans cooler and stay on top of fluid changes, maybe more?

I dunno, food for thought. You're not alone.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow 90k, thats soon. Well i guess its about half life, i think 200k is expected. Never rebuild, the ford remans are the only way to go. 3 year unlimited warranty no matter who installs so i would advise to just do it yourself and save $1500.
I just did one and it was the easiest trans swap i have ever done
2 important notes-
Buy a transmission jack (which makes it super simple to line up)
And make sure you FLUSH THE COOLER LINES. Very important and if you dont do that the new trans will fail
Thats it. It comes full of fluid and literally is a plug and play
However there is a tsb transmission flash that goes with the new valve bodys, not necessary but a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
STP

STP

Reaction score
Note: went with Ford remanufactured vs. Rebuild. Was about $1K cheaper than route I went. Driving around a GMC Terrain Denali...not quite the same!

Joe Knox

Reaction score
I didn't see where you stated what year model you have, but my son has a 2012 and he had some issues but there are several recalls on the transmission and the just replaced a shift sensor on a recall and they told him that may have caused the problems and did damage to his transmission. My son's 2012 had a 100k power train warranty